Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet Pile Bulkhead with Concrete Facing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FergusonEngineers

Structural
Aug 10, 2010
US
Wondering if anyone here has designed a steel sheet pile bulkhead, then placed a cast in place or precast facing on it. If so, I'm looking for attachment details and method to determine the vertical capacity of the sheets in loose sand. facing will add approximately 1.5 to 2 kips/ft of wall.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our office did something like this a few years back (I wasn't involve with the design only the construction support). The project was a riverfront part and parts of the seawall were sheets with cast-in-place concrete facing.

The concrete was held in place with shear studs. As far as accounting for the weight of your facing, why not treat it as a lateral load? Multiply the eccentricity by the weight of the concrete and add that moment to the moment resulting from soil pressure.

About 20 years ago I was resident engineer on a bridge fender project. The design called for twelve 35' diameter stone filled sheet pile cofferdams. The exterior of each cofferdam was covered with timber. The design called for threaded rods welded to the sheets to hold the timber. However, the contractor shop welded nuts to the sheets and then bolted the timber on. It worked out well because field welding would have been difficult since the specs called for shop coating the sheets.

The vertical capacity of the sheet is calculated using the same theoretical background as the axial capacity of pile. You have to calculate the skin friction capacity. If you dont get what you need with the skin friction you are going to have to increase the base for the tip capacity or give more embedment that you satisfy your axial loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back