Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sheetl Metal - Trying to flatten a conical body

Status
Not open for further replies.

krywarick6

Automotive
Jun 9, 2003
CA
I have a "V" shaped cover that goes around a given radius. I have modeled the cover with two bodies and am now trying to flatten them, but with no luck.

I realize that the resulting body is based on a conical surface. I'm wondering if this is where the software limitation is kicking inby not being able to distort the material in more than one direction.

Currently using SW2011 SP4.

Suggested work arounds are welcomed.

Christopher Zona - Product Designer
Loretto, Ontario

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CorBlimeyLimey,

Yuuuuuuup! But, we are holding off for a bit on the upgrade, so I will make due with what I have to work with. I thought there might be a trick that I wasn't aware of with 2011. Anxiously waiting for the new functionality!

Loretto, Ontario

I just remoted into my home computer to test on SW12 and it did what Chris wanted in one feature ... and flattened. How accurate the flat is, is another question.

Actually, after a discussion with tech support, they guided me in the right direction.

I was able to achieve exactly what I was looking for with a lofted bend. This worked like the "bee's knees".

It's being fabricated as I write.

Loretto, Ontario

all you need to get a curved lofted bend is two sketches each with a curved sketch entity that is not closed. The planes do not even have to be parallel.

-Joe
SolidWorks 2011 x64 SP 4 on Windows XP x64
8 GB RAM - Nvidia Quadro FX1700

Guys, what this comes down to is like trying to make a flat pattern of an aluminum beer can. You can't do it without distorting the metal in plane. Any one-piece sheet metal part that cannot be produced by simply bending the material has to be made by using dies & etc. to stretch/compress material. There is no way to make a non ripped flat pattern of a hemisphere for example. I know that SW can do a curved flange, but the flat pattern is not a dead accurate shape, but more of an estimated blank shape, which would likely need to be adjusted during final part tuning before production.

The material thickness also is shown as constant in SW, which it wouldn't be in real life.

Eltron,
Yes, it will sweep an incomplete hemisphere, but will only flatten if there is a straight portion (edge) to select as the "Fixed Face"

download.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back