Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sheetmetal part surface area 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newma

Automotive
Mar 11, 2011
CA
Hello guys,
I am putting daily a series of sheet metal drawing for production. I would like to put the surface area on the drawing. The problem is that it is calculating the surface area of the entire part, top, bottom, sides, etc.
Now I could just select the one side of the part hit the MEASURE icon write down what i see and then type it in the drawing.

I have many drawings and was wondering if there was a more AUTOMATIC approch to it.

thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is sheet metal take the surface area divide by two, ignore the minor difference the edge band makes and call it good. How accurate do you need to be?

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

thanks guys for you prompt reply ...

Probably Kirby's way is the most efficient one so far, specially that I need to show this detail in the drawings for project cost calculation departement.

I've added the surface area property and created the link in the drawing as ($PRPSHEET:"SURFACE AREA") but can't figure out how to automate the divide by two??

[newma]

Try this:
Create an equation
"Onesurface"="SW-SurfaceArea"/2
Create a custom property that uses that and make it part of the title block or a note on the drawing.
You could get precise and subtract out the edge if you want to.
If your sheet is a rectangle you can multiply length x width from the original sketch and use that value as a property.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 2.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

newma, an possible alternative to the surface area would be the flat layout showing overall size of the blank, or the weight of the part. Depending on the material used to process the part - sheet, blank, coil, etc - this may be appropriate. Sheet metal material is typically sold by weight. Cost review could want the total material used to compare with the actual part.

regards, Diego

Thank you again guys and specially "EEnd" your (Volume/thickness) solution is brilliant :)
The question now how can I merge the new equation in the new part template so I don't have to create it every time?

Diego, we are mostly using sheets and some Aluminum coil and as part of my standrad drawings production I show the flat layout for the blank but since most of the parts are non rectangular type the want me to add the surface area and probably I'll add the weight as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back