Shelby tubes smaller than 3 in diameter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelelo

Geotechnical
Aug 10, 2009
DO
Engineers,

As you may know, the most common shelby tube diameter is 3 inches.

There are 2 inches diameter shelby tubes available as well. I was wondering what are they useful for?.

It is my understanding that for consolation and triaxial testing, it is required 3 in diameter, however I am not sure what 2" will be used for.

Please let me know,.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We used some smaller ones, maybe 2 inch, when advancing borings with a Geoprobe rig. If the soils are exclusively fine-grained, you can still run triaxial tests on the sample. Remember, many labs shave the Shelby tube samples down to 1.4 inch diameter for permeability and shear testing. If they extrude the samples soon enough, it should provide high quality results.

When doing mud rotary drilling with casing with an ID between 3 and 4". You are forced to use the 2.5" or 2" Shelby tubes. As mentioned above, most of my advanced testing oedometer and DSS, shaves the samples down.

As I stated, if there's no gravel in the soil matrix, most labs trim the sample to 1.4 inch diameter. This reduces the time to saturate/consolidate the sample or whatever hydraulic prep is needed before shearing.

We typically used 51 mm tubes for our projects in clays in Ontario. Question? - are you using "real" thin walled shelby tubes (meeting all the dimensional specifications as per ASTM D1587) or thin walled steel tubes?

from Terzaghi Peck and Mesri
TP_M_Thin-walled_tubes_lacyg0.jpg

Thanks BigH,

I have been doing some research between the drilling supply companies. what they sell are 2-in OD shelby tubes.

Do you know who sells "real" thin walled shelby tubes in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back