Shell and Head Pressure Vessel Thickness Calculation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentucky_08

Chemical
Apr 16, 2024
PH
Good day, everyone!

I am currently designing a cone-bottom vessel that is under vacuum. The use of the cone-bottom vessel is to receive the condensate coming from the vent condenser.

Can I ask for some questions since I am a new to this, and a starter in designing this one.

1. Should I have a separate calculation for the shell body thickness and for head in thickness for pressure vessel? I am confused as Figure UG-28.1 of ASME Section VIII part 1, it shows there the h/3 of the head must be added in length. If separate what length I must consider?
2. In connection to number 1,if separate solution is needed, what should I prioritize the head or the shell body?
3. What can you say about the cone-bottom vessel orientation considering that the external pressure it is under?
4. Is it right for me to choose the tori spherical head for the vessel since it is easier to fabricate and more economical since the vessel only needs to receive condensate.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP,
You have to use separate thickness calculation for pressure parts. Type of head you will select will depend on your application and design pressure.
h denotes depth of the head. h/3 establishes the 'Line of Tangent' for determination of L between the Line of Supports you will use for external pressure design (in your case).

GDD
Canada

Please explain why a clear liquid ("vent condensate") requires a cone bottomed vessel ..

Explain why a simple dished head vessel is not acceptable for this service ...

"Because my boss/the client told me" is not an acceptable explanation

Cone bottomed tanks/vessels are most often applied in service where there is significant particulate

.... which you do not seem to have

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Sir MJCronin,

The vessel will only be present to receive the condensate from a vent condenser, just a simple receiver that is under vacuum. With regards to the head, of all my readings, tori spherical, considering three facts such as it's easy to fabricate, the receiver is only a simple part of the system and it's suitability for vacuum pressure, I believe this is the most suitable head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back