Shell and tube heat exchanger Engineer interview questions! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMEclassof2012

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2015
US
Hello Engineer,

I am preparing for an interview for a mechanical design engineer position at a company that designs and manufactures shell and tube heat exchangers that operate under high pressure, up to 3000 psi. This is a mid-level role reporting to the engineering manager. While I have experience in mechanical design, I have not worked specifically with shell and tube heat exchangers. Can you advise me on the types of questions I might expect in the interview? What questions would you ask to evaluate a strong candidate for this position?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Read the following for a process design bent on this subject:
A recent copy of TEMA
Perry Chem Engg Handbook - section on shell and tube HX
DQ Kern - Process Heat Transfer
API 660

Know the pros and cons of the various TEMA configurations
Reasonable knowledge of materials of construction
Know how to use one or more of the commercially available HX thermal / mechanical design computer programs

Hi Georgeverghese,

Thank you for replying to my post! You definitely deserve a purple star!

I am currently reading the TEMA standard and it is proving to be very helpful. I have to say, the standard is written in a way that is easy to understand. Thanks again!

These are also Pressure vessels, so not sure how much you know about ASME VIII or how you would design a PV yourself.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Going up to 3000psig, double pipe BrownFintube fully countercurrent heat exchangers with high pressure closures would also be competitive with TEMA T head shell and tube heat exchangers. You can get these with longitudinal or transverse low finned tubes also.

As mentioned above you would do best in your interview if you had a solid understanding of the TEMA standard, API standard 660, as well as ASME Section VIII Division 1 covering flange design, nozzle reinforcement, tubesheet design, tube-to-tubesheet joints, internal/external pressure design, PWHT requirements, radiography requirements, etc. Know all of the various baffle types/configurations (there are many types beyond what's shown in TEMA) and know something about the various Breech-Lock devices.

It would also be beneficial to have an understanding of basic manufacturing processes including welding, non-destructive examination, corrosion-resistant cladding processes, painting, insulating, and CNC machining. It would also be helpful to have a basic understanding If the shop also performs Repairs it would be helpful to have a working knowledge of NBIC requirements.

I think you can also find copies of shell and tube heat exchanger standards from various companies online. It might be helpful to look through some of those as well.

-Christine

Talk about your experience, don't answer if you're not sure.
The interview is to find out what you know and determine if you're up to the training you need at this company.
Don't waste time reading about HE now.

Good luck
Regards

Hello Christine74,

Thank you for your detailed message and for suggesting more reading material. Your specific insights were really helpful. A little purple star for you!

Hello r6155,

Thank you for your reply. I agree that discussing my experience is important, but I disagree with your view that reading about heat exchangers is a waste of time. In my previous role, I worked on industrial gas compressor skids that included shell and tube heat exchangers. These exchangers were used to cool the gas after compression, as well as to cool the lubrication oil in the compressor packages to maintain proper temperatures.

Reading about heat exchangers helps me refresh my knowledge and revisit what I’ve learned in past positions. Your assumption that I lack experience with heat exchangers is incorrect. I appreciate your suggestions, though.

Thanks again!

I did conduct interview for potential vessel engineers. I probably the only one in the world giving every candidate 3 pages with 60 technical questions and a full 90 minutes interview, instead of verbally BS talk. I scared people a lot. However I know what level they are and place in the right position and expectation.
Prepare a hard copy what you have done, known and achieved. Don't be empty hand but only with a nice suitcase. Your brain is what people is looking for to contribute to the company. Be candid, answer thing you know, and politely saying you have no experience for things you don't know but you can pick up quickly. When people in my interview saying they have experience with my question, for example, wet sour service, then I will follow up how do you design a vessel for that. So, be honest.
If you have the luck, no one will ask you any technical questions. After looking at the resume, they will only ask "Do you want to come ?" It did happen on me. GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back