Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell Coating Solids (Strain Gage Simulation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDFEA

Mechanical
May 2, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm shell coating solid finite element geometry (parabolic tetrahedron elements)to do some correlation work with strain gage test data. Is there a good rule of thumb for what thickness the thin-shell element should be when you're trying to simulate a strain gage? What experiences have you had with this technique? Any other FE techniques available to get at surface strains? I'm running I-DEAS/UGS 11m2.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have sufficient mesh density then the extrapolated element nodal stress should equal the surface stress. I avoid shell coating since it adds unneccessary degrees of freedom to my models and is another source of modeling errors. Instead I just probe a consistent node where my strain gauge should be.

If you have to surface coat , then just anything really thin, like 0.01 mm and ignore any software warnings about ill-conditioned matrix.

Principal - General FEA Consulting Services

Thanks for the information. I was getting singularites due to the very thin shell (0.001 inch thick) that I was using to coat the solids (as you mentioned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back