Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell edge loading using *dsload

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgbridges

Structural
Nov 21, 2006
US
I have a load step in my analysis where a pressure load is applied to some shell elements, and this error is occuring:

***ERROR: SURFACE ELEM15E3 INCLUDES EDGES. EXCEPT FOR SHELL EDGE LOADING, SURFACES WHICH INCLUDE EDGES CANNOT BE USED WITH *DSLOAD, *DSFLUX, *SFILM, *SRADIATE, *DSFLOW, *SFLOW, *DSECHARGE, *DSECURRENT, *SIMPEDANCE OR *INCIDENT WAVE.

The user's manual indicates that under distributed loads (*dsload), I have the ability to apply a pressure on "the element reference surface." In a different section of the manual (2.3.2), it lists for s4r elements, the surface options are spos, sneg (the two faces) and then e1, e2, e3, e4 (the four edges).

What does not make sense to me is that the error says that "surfaces which include edges cannot be used with *dsload..." ... "except for shell edge loading". I would understand if it were a warning, saying that if it's not shell edge loading, the loads will not be applied, but creating a fatal error seems odd, considering that it IS shell edge loading.

From my input file:
-----
*elset, elset=elem15
*surface, type=element, name=elem15E3
elem15,E3

*dsload
elem15E3,p,9.51575
-----

Any ideas? I'm thinking it might be a glitch and I'll be emailing HKS, but thought I'd see if anyone else could see an immediate problem, or had had this happen to them. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back