Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shell element types 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirs

Civil/Environmental
Feb 1, 2012
PT
Hello everyone,

I have tried to find some answers to this particular question in the theory manual/user manual, but I haven't been successful.

My issue lies with the modelling of a simple cold-formed steel structure, i.e. I used shell finite elements since the thickness is considerably smaller than the other 2 dimensions. I have tried to compare 2 geometrically identical models in a simple buckling analysis: the conventional shell element S4R and the continuum shell element SC8R. I have obtained significantly stiffer results with the SC8R model. Does anyone know why exactly does this happen?

Thanks in advance for any input,

PN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, this is absolutely true.

S4R - nodes have rotational d.o.f.
SC8R - nodes have displacement d.o.f. only.

However, I don't think this explains the differences I am observing, since my mesh is significantly small (large number of elements) in the areas where deformation is expected to occur.

Well, SC8R get the thickness from the nodal coordinates, and S4R from the thickness given, but I guess you made the mesh to have SC8R with the same thickness as S4R.
To be sure: use overlay plot to plot both outputs on the same screen and "render shell profiles"
Also check that the thickness reduction is limited for SC8R elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back