Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell FEA Averaging/Smoothing Across Part Boundaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKerr

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2021
US
For a shell model (ASME Sect. 8 Div. 2 analysis) of welded structures, when is it okay to average across part boundaries and when should you look at the parts separately? I realize solid sub models should be used to examine the welded areas because of discontinuities, but I was taught that it is okay to average across welded parts because the material is the same and these are full-penetration welds. But I remember reading somewhere that averaging should never be done between welded parts. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My general opinion:
When you see a significant difference between averaged and non-averaged results, then it means that your mesh is not fine enough that area.

You should always check the unaveraged results as part of standard postprocessing verification, not only in case of weldments. Some FEA programs (like Abaqus) even allow you to display discontinuities (differences in values between adjacent elements) in place of standard output variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back