Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell Material for Chiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanrick

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2008
US
I am designing a shell & tube chiller: refrigerant in the tubes, brine in the shell. The unit is to be rated as 375 psi tubeside according to Sec VIII, Div 1, and 150 psi shellside non-code.

It is my understanding that, although the shell is declared "non-code", it still must be made from code-approved material (Sec II, Part D) in order to meet the requirements of UHX.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,

Rick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Rick,
If you design ashell and tube heat exchanger, it has to be based on a recognised code, including the process design. There is no such thing as half equipment designed to a code, half is (designed?? declared??) non-code. The pressures you have quoted for shell side and tube side are coming under the jurisdiction of a responsible national authority, which ever country is operating the exchanger, hence you are obliged to design and fabricate the exchanger in accordance with an internationally recognised design standard / code. The whole equipment. Materials used have to be selected in accordance with the code recommandations, tested and certified for compliance.
cheers,
gr2vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back