Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell SPE 77/312 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

scalleke

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
CA
Which Valve Manufacturers have been qualified in accordance with Shell SPE 77/312 Fugitive emissions specification? And for which valves have they been qualified?

Best regards.

Scalleke

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

May be a bit late

77/312 is still under consideration as far as i can understand, it requires the manufacturers to undertake approval and type testing to emissions standards, it is similar to the new ISO standards, as far as the big players are concerned, Exxon/BP both are going with a version of the ISA standard requiring type and production testing

I have a list of approved vendors if you require

regards

Mike

Scalleke,
the Shell MESC SPE 77/312 "additional requirement" specification has been revised frequently in the last years(I collected 8 different revisions between 2000 and 2002). The Thightness Classes (A, B and C) and the relevant limits remained substantially untouched, while the Endurance and Temperature Classes, test pressures, archiving and range qualification rules, etc. slightly changed each time (resulting sometimes in sensible changes, at the end...).
The latest and apparently more "stable" version is dated November 26th, 2002: although this type of testing (both "production" and "prototype") is becoming almost a "routine" for us, even if only on demand, for specific orders, we are thinking about qualifing our standard products range by a series of Prototype Tests... also because it seeems that this certification is going to be mandatory for valves sold to Shell all over the world.
Hope this can be useful (if you need more information, just ask.
Bye, 'NGL

Hello, anegri

as mention,where can i find the specification (the Shell MESC SPE 77/312 "additional requirement" specification )or buy it?

One thing is for sure, the 77/312 is mandatory for all Shell projects due to fact that Shell promotes sustainable growth.

It is true that the text of the 312 is under development as is the Law of Europe.

Not a lot of vendors have been approved and indeed Shell Global Solutions International BV in The Hague, Netherlands is the best source of information.

Just ask if u require further information.

MarcelValve,
if you're interested in the measurement of fugitive emissions, please go to Thread408-48808 in this forum... and let me know your opinion.
Thanks, 'NGL

First of all, another discussion on the same matter is present in the Forum: see Thread408-83628.

Then: a new version of the document in object has been issued by Shell. This latest Revision is dated 25-11-2003.

Please take a look to it... and write down your comments, if you like!

Hope this helps, 'NGL

Shell MESC SPE 77/306 (latest revision: 14-10-2002) is presented as "a supplement to BS 6364 and EN 1626" standards, regarding cryogenic (-196°C) and low temperature (-46°C) production testing of valves for seat and/or shell tightness.
The Shell document which describes the correspondant prototype testing (that must be performed and approved prior to production) is called T-2.253.730 (latest revision: 28-11-2002, if I remember well...).

Shell MESC SPE 77/312 (latest revision: 25-11-2003) defines not only Temperature, but also Endurance and Tightness Classes for both prototype and production fugitive emissions tests.

Both types of tests are normally carried out by using pure helium gas (or mixtures of this with nitrogen) as test medium.

As said above, I'd suggest to contact Shell Global Solutions BV in order to get a copy of the documents of interest and to study them, as they're not easy to summarize in a few lines. ;-)

Bye to all, 'NGL

Just to keep the thread up-to-date: other Revision[/color red]s of Shell MESC SPE 77/312 have been issued.
The latest official one is dated 18-06-2004[/color red].

Bye to all, 'NGL

scalleke

Starting early 2004 there is a new database managed by SIPM which include the list of vendor which have at least one products appproved. Please take in consideration that the qualification process is not generic (company name) but specific to certain range of products (listed under the MESC codes).
I believe the list is only available to SIPM customers.

Metso Automation is the first valve manufacturer to have obtained fugitive emission type approval for its control valves in accordance with Shell’s MESC SPE 77/312 specification, revision 26-11-2002.

Meeting these MESC SPE 77/312 fugitive emission tests is only a part of the continuing total fugitive emissions / environmental strategy pursued by Metso.

Other key elements of the strategy are ISO 15848 and the new TA-Luft type approvals. The type approval tests were carried out at Metso Automation's research laboratory in Helsinki during the spring of 2004.

The following Metso control valves passed the MESC SPE 77/312 type approval test criteria: RE-series segment rotary control valves; FINETROL eccentric rotary plug control valves; L6-series triple eccentric rotary control butterfly valves.

Shell-GSI has stated that all valves delivered to hydrocarbon processes in Shell plants worldwide must now have type approval in accordance with their MESC SPE 77/312 specification.

For instance, MESC SPE 77/312 approval is mandatory at the Shell CSPC Nanhai project where Metso Automation has delivered hundreds of valves.

Hi Marcel,

Thanks but your post is slightly late.

Version 30-11-2004 is just out.

These specs change faster than the ink on them can dry.

Best Regards.

Scalleke

Dear All,
another version of the document in object has been released, the Revision dated 28-02-2005!

I'm going to read it in the next days... in the meantime, has anyone faced that already?

Thanks and Regards, 'NGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back