Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shimmy Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassnut

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2002
US
I just finished designing a Brehn type shimmy die (for fun). The die is designed to do a simple trim on a drawn shell. Has anybody out there had any experiences with designing and using this type of tooling and if so what are some of possible problems that could occur? (please exclude the obvious).
Thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Used to design them but pretty rusty now. I don't remember any real problems using a proper design. I did used to follow the recommendations in the old ASTE Die Design Handbook (1955) which was- under 10 inches (largest dimension across the trimmed edge) uses spring pins (requires a hole in the bolster) and over 10 inches uses the air cushion type which requires no opening in the bolster, requires less set up time and has greater die shut height than the spring type. Increased shell height does not affect the die shut height of the spring type and trimmed parts can be ejected higher in the cushion type. Quality of production is the same for either die.
They had two sample drawings-one with cam in/on the die shoe and one with the cam in/on the punch shoe.

If you designed one you probably know all this but I thought I would throw it at you just in case.

Al Kirby
askkkf@avci.net

Hey thanks. Great stuff! I said I designed one but never built one or used one or even seen one outside of my ASTE book circa 1949. It has two views, top and front of the cam on the punch shoe. Also there is a rendering of a cam on die shoe on the Vulcancut.com site. See if you can figure out the "Swivel Pin"
Thanks Kirby.
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back