Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shooting range ventillation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echan

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2003
CA
Hello,
I was given this project of re-designing a ventilation system for a small indoor shooting range. This is for a Canadian site and my customers would like to use any size hand gun (From OPP officers, to young cadets using 22 caliber rifles).

I was looking for any information sources available out there. (Recommended books, websites, etc...).

Requirements: Increase cfms, add lead control/filter unit and cleaning procedures and requirements.

I would like to find Canadian sources and suppliers, if possible.

Thanks for any info you can provide

Echan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't help you with the lead treatment, but I have some unsolicited, out-of-scope, hot policy opinions (HPO) about shooting practice.

Consider requiring jacketed bullets; my guess is that copper dust is safer (and prettier) than lead dust. They're less accurate, but not in a left versus right ventrical sort of way.

Consider kicking the boys outside! Practicing in a warm, well-lit room doesn't prepare anyone to shoot in the snow.

Consider providing enough cigarettes and doughnuts so that the boys won't live long enough to die from lead poisioning.

I've thought about this since I was assigned an office above an indoor range in 1990 (three jobs ago). I can't help but wonder what damage I did to myself just being on a floor next to the exhaust. Should I sue the ammo industry, my employer, or the exhaust designer when I figure out the grief?

Please excuse the levity....I'm in a good mood today.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back