Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shop certification for CSA B51

Status
Not open for further replies.

pve5

Mechanical
Sep 13, 2005
CA
For design, fabrication of pressure vessels in Canada, shop should have certification of CSA B51.

However, for fabrication of pipe spools to B31.3, B31.1 and H type fittings ,shop certification to CSA B51 is not a mandatory requirement. Fitting used for fabricating spools must have CRN number . Welding procedures to be used for fabrication of spools should comply with requirements of ASME Section IX and certified by Department of labor of provience where fabrication shop is located.

I would appericate review and comments on above.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you are asking if power piping or pressure piping needs to be registered; all pressure equipment built in Canada needs to follow Provincial rules, CSA- B51 and ASME codes. Piping it self does not have a CRN number, but CSA B51 4.17.2 states: “Where required by the regulatory authority in the province of installation, the piping fabricator or installer shall furnish acceptable piping data report to the regulatory authority.”
In Alberta piping system over 0.5m3 needs to be registered; it is a practice to fill out the paper work on systems under 0.5m3 but these systems is not under the PP numbers.
I would contact your AIA for your province to see if your system needs registered.
ABSA here in Alberta has a good web site and in my opinion is second to none if you follow their rules you can’t go wrong,

I believe if your shop is registered for boilers & pressure vessels, that will also cover you for pressure piping. The reverse is not the case, however. Our shop is registered for pressure piping, but not for boilers or vessels work.

In Ontario, shops performing pressure piping work (either contractors or in-house maintenance) are required to have an approved quality control manual in effect, and be issued a "Certificate Of Authorization" for the particular pressure piping code they're working to - B31.1, B31.3 and/or B31.5. Pressure piping assemblies are issued 'P' numbers by the TSSA.

My experience in Alberta and Ontario has been similar. We are an EPC contractor and do all of the piping design. We register our design by submitting our Piping Specs, Line List (includes Desigh P and T and Test pressures, and P&ID's. ABSA (alberta) or TSSA (ontario) then issues you a "P" number which is you r registration of your piping design. The piping fabricators will need this number. All valves, fitting, flow elemnts etc. will need to have a CRN number for the province. Make sure it is for the specific province you are in, not all have CRN's for all provinces.

Talk directly to TSSA, ABSA etc. They are usually more than helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back