Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Short&Long Patter of Gate Valves in B16.10 Table 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

qiuniu

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2009
JP
I am getting confused with the short and long pattern of Gate valves listed in B16.10 Table 4. Hope some one can help.
In Table 4,it is written"Solid Wedge, Double Disc, and Conduit, Long pattern A and B" is this meaning that long pattern gate valves contains Solid Wedge, Double Disc, and Conduit Types. As for short patter, it has only "Short pattern".
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the most part here is how this works. It has nothing to do with the wedge type:

1. Valves that use Long Pattern:

All Bolted Bonnet valves.
All Pressure seal valves with flanged ends

2. Valves that use Short pattern:

All pressure seal weld end valves.

reverman:

As I am lacking the detailed knowledge of competitors supplying to this standard, you might well be correct.

Questions: what application and sizes/pressure classes are we talking about?

Sidenote: At least for European valves (and note! not made to B16.10 Table 4, but EN standards!) your points would not be true. Commonly commercial series not seldom produced both in long and short patterns, regardless of the constructional details you mention.

Thanks to both of you.
I am sorry but I am still a little confusing. Actually, we are making Catalogs for Valves and other components.From the sentence"Solid Wedge, Double Disc, and Conduit, Long pattern A and B", is it literally meaning that all Solid Wedge, Double Disc, and Conduit type of gate valve are of long pattern. And for the short pattern, what is the common wedge type?

Thanks.

I think I possibly understand your problem. You are perhaps trying to translate, or describe in detail (or group products) in a new context, based on information/description given in other texts or tables.

This is common international engineering task. Very often your presentation will require details and descriptions not given clarly or complete in the original text.

This seems perhaps to be the nature here. Seemingly the text you have got could be understood several ways.

Anyway: if some of this is part of your problem, there is no easy way out. You have to dig deeper and ask for more detailed technical information from the original source.

As an example I have myself been forced to cross-check with data-sheets and detailed descriptions to be sure I translated pamphlets correct. I have also been forced to go back to, as an example, German original text as a help translating to Scandinavian in stead of only leaning to English technical texts translated from German. (Details missing, misinterpreted or left in translation from original language to English)

Many engineers are satisfied with a nearly accurate description, a good engineer will require an exact description.

I somewhat feel you fit the 'good engineer description'.

Part of being a good engineer is admitting when you need more information from others.

Good luck, even if I am wrong with my guess of your problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back