short-circuit calcultation following IEEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVmariner

Electrical
Mar 28, 2003
GB
Hi everybody!

Currently trying to estimate the contribution to a short-circuit of synchro-converters and harmonic filters in a 6.6kV network, I've seen on the IEEE website that an article P551 as been issued in May2000, containing "Recommended Practice for Calculting AC SC Currents in Industrial and Commercial Power Systems". Unfortunately,I did not manage to find more information about it. Would any-one know anything about this document, or maybe have a copy of it?

Thanks in advance....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a draft of a new book in the IEEE color book series. As far as I can determine, this is not available to the public yet.

Draft Violet Book
IEEE STANDARDS PROJECT P551, DRAFT RECOMMENDED PRACTICE FOR SHORT-CIRCUIT CALCULATIONS IN INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL POWER SYSTEMS.
The focus of the IEEE Violet Book will be on providing and understanding and proper application of analytical techniques of short-circuit analyses in industrial and commercial power systems.

Thanks for your help jghrist. After further researches, I found that this standard is not yet published, and no date is currently known...
Regards,

In regards to your question about the publication of the the Violet Book as a part of the IEEE Color Book Series. As far I know it has not been published and is probably not likely to be either. I inquired and spoke with the former committee chair for this book a couple of years ago and was told it did not recieve the required support and hadn't really moved forward. It has been in committee quite a long time.

The former Violet Book committee chairman has published his own book though which I think contains much of the same information that was in the draft copy of the Violet book. I own a copy of the book and it is very good. It is called A Practical Guide to Short-Circuit Calculations by Conrad St. Pierre. You can purchase copies directly from him at
If you want to find out more about the Violet Book and where is stands I believe the committee chairman is now Mr. Guy Jackson.

Chair: Guy Jackson
Jackson & Associates
Tel: +1 334 626 6890
jackson@powerplot.com

I would definitely recomend the St. Pierre book even though it is not a IEEE publication. There is a lot of good information in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back