Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Short Circuit test on Sync Generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Ahmed

Electrical
Jan 19, 2022
PK
I have a question regarding the short circuit test that is done on generators. While performing the short circuit test, we short the phases, I want know why doesn't it destroy the generator, we are literally creating a three phase bolted short circuit.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

waross or catserveng would be able to confirm this as I've never actually done it, but I understand same technique can be used to dry out alternators. From what I can gather: short the windings, slowly adjust excitation so that desired current is flowing, and periodically shut down and take insulation resistance readings. The I2R heats the windings and slowly dries them out.

EDMS Australia

Generator standards ((IEC etc) require them to be designed and constructed to withstand a sudden three phase short circuit across the generator terminals.

This is the worst case they will see in service as downstream faults will not be as severa as the fault current will be limited by system impedance.

This test is not performed on every generator manufactured as it is stressful and takes time to arrange. It is not a test normally performed in the field.

The decrement curve of current decay can be used to determine generator reactance (sub-transient, transient etc)

The one time I saw this test done, people forgot that oil was used on something during the rewinding. So the heat of the test caused the oil to smoke out.
Some people very nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back