Short Infield Umbilical Installation in Deep Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat6787

Marine/Ocean
Sep 8, 2006
US
Good Morning,

Does anybody have experience installing an infield umbilical that is shorter than the water depth? We are reviewing the layout on my current project and have come up with an idea that would require about 1/3 of the original umbilical length, but brings up the problem of installing it. Our company has been involved in other infield umbilicals being installed in water deeper than the length of the umbilical, but they typically had a large SUTA at one end and a smaller connection at the other end (which then plugs into an existing SUTA already on the seabed).
My first thought was to use a stab and hinge over assembly instead of a rigid SUTA frame, but I have since been told that the SUTA design cannot be changed at this stage in the project.

Has anybody been involved with a project like this in the past? What were your major problems from an installation stand point, and how did you work through them?

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but there isn’t one really focused on subsea equipment installation.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Kat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kat,
Is your SUTA attached to the umbilical or not?
How big the SUTA is ?
Perhaps you can utilize an umbilical basket which can deploy with SUTA. However, if the MBR of the umbilical is big, this method is not practical.

Currently i have some problem as well in designing the SDB, we think that the SDB is very big. It is a problem since we will attach this SDB onto Flowline Manifold. We estimate dimension of SDB is about 6x2x4 m. Which will crate a manifold like a monster.

Kat,
I agree with you, perhaps we need to create another forum.. such as Subsea Engineering ?

Cheers

You may try posting a request and a link to this thread in the Petroleum Exploration Engineering Forum.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back