Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should brick foundation of wall be covered with cement mortar and coated with bitumen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgczb

Structural
May 12, 2021
CN
IMG_20220815_160709_kon8f5.jpg
IMG_20220815_165207_zbr3e3.jpg
Snap55561_euugch.png

For masonry buildings, sometimes we provide 1:2 cement mortar and bitumen coating to brick foundation.
But for brick wall of plant, in this standard drawing, these anti-corrosion methods are not shown.
Are there any examples or provisions from code or standard illustrating this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Needs to be waterproof one way or another at soil contact, if code says so, or not.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Or both. That's gonna suck water like a sponge. If it freezes, it's game over.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Well heck, it don't rain in ME either. What are you worried about? Well.. until it does. Every intersection in Riyadh was flooded to the bridge level in 1995.

You haven't been to Abha. It freezes there at 3000m elevation and in other places on occasion. Lived 15 years in ME, from Ankara to Abha. Ankara is often colder than Moscow.

I believe that it is a good idea to waterproof. However, and having said that, I own a house that was built in 1915. The entire two story residence is built and supported on brick foundation. Short of minor soil erosion in the basement, the brick is outstanding. I recently built a retaining wall to reduce the soil erosion and used the retwining wall to support the sagging floor beam.

Regards,
Lutfi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back