Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

should i accept a low-ball offer? 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragedriven

Geotechnical
May 9, 2008
US
I have 4 years experience in geotechnical engineering, I just sat for my PE exam last weekend and likely passed. My previous salaries steadily increased to just under $60,000 over the last 4 years.

I have been laid off for 8 months now. I have had very few call backs. I got an interivew, then called back for a 2nd, and then a 3rd, just got an offer letter for $37,000/yr with an expectation of 55 hrs/week (comes out to $13/hr).

I'm not sure I would be able to pay the mortgage with that, much less be comfortable with a wife and 3 kids. I haven't gotten any reliable salary info for the Southern US, but a licensed geotechnical PE for $37K? At this point in my career I wouldn't be stamping anything of course.

The offer letter states I have 2 days to accept, this makes me think they have 5 or more candidates and low-ball each one til someone accepts. Should I try to counter offer, just take it, or refuse? I dont have a gauruntee of a pay increase to match my experiencea year or 2 years down the line. Maybe they think i'll work for a 10% raise every year and in 30 years be back to what i was making.

I am currently thinking I will make a counter for at least $45,000 and continue with the job search if they refuse.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a plan to me, unless you are really desparate for that paycheck. In any event, keep up with the job search.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

My only comment is that you have to assume that you didn't pass until you have the letter in your hands. You have to take your present value, unless you will get your letter within 2 days.

I wouldn't take it. lower is fun, but that's almost insulting. It will reset your pay grade from here on out, and IMO that is worse than starting over.

Assuming they will entertain discussion regarding the offer, I would counter first, and see what the response is like. They made you the offer first for some preferential reason. Either you are the preferred initial candidate, or they offered it to someone else prior, who declined, and you are now the preferred candidate. If they don't budge, I would then accept the initial offer, but keep looking. Something is better than nothing, in this economy. When the next prospective employer asks why you took it, just be honest, and explain that although it was lower than your true market value, you would rather work and pay the bills, than not work.

Everyone in business is aware of the unusually severe nature of the current depression (The US gov't keeps calling it a recession, but the numbers are worse than that, IMHO.) As a hiring manager, I wouldn't hold that against you. It would impress me that you took the initiative to do something, rather than sit back and collect unemployment. It's sort of like the folks who were working Aerospace and Defense in California in the 90's and beyond. The aerospace turndown put a lot of people out of work, and people started hopping around, doing anything, full-time or contract, to keep working. Now, when I see these resumes where they spent a year here, and two years there, during that time period, I don't even blink an eye. The story is the same for everyone affected. Entirely understandable given the particulars of that era.

Besides, the conventional wisdom is that it's always easier to find a job, when you have a job. I wouldn't assume, that after 8 months, something else is going to pop up in line with your previous salary, anytime soon. Unfortunately, it's supply and demand at play, and the people making you an offer are, obviously, fully aware of it. Underemployed still beats unemployed, in my book.

-Tony Staples

You aren't a licensed PE getting offered a $37k/yr job. I would rather not have gaps in my resume. I think all those people not actively looking for a job and remaining on UE are going to have some interesting explaining when the job market comes back. I would generally look at that as the person being too lazy to find work. The people really looking can give a real response to that answer.

I would take the job and keep looking. More money > Less money.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

brandon, I think it's pretty well accepted that the market sucks. Not sure what there is to explain.

to the OP, I wouldn't take it. Lowballing the salary is tolerable in this climate but, it's the 55hr/wk that would get me. Sounds like you need to relocate or go back to school and become a professor.

FWIW 13 bucks an hour is less than minimum wage in Australia.

Before I take a job I decide what they will pay me. Only once have I broken that rule and it cost me (in retrospect) 4 years of substandard pay, I ended up moving 600 miles to get out of that. Ever since then I have played hardball.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Definitely counter-offer before accepting.

Don't even think about relocating for that sort of money.

If you do take it, treat it as a contract position; get out as soon as anything better comes along.

The lack of guaranteed pay increases means nothing when you are starting from such a low base.

Don't fret about the 2 day acceptance limit; it won't hurt if you miss out.

And yes, I would feel insulted with that offer.

I think that company's practice is deplorable. That's less than new graduates are being offered. I would like the name of the head of that company so I could give him a call and let him know how much damage he is doing to the profession. I would gladly make that call.

There is no reason for a firm to do that.

There is no reason for a firm to do that.

What, except that they are in business fundamentally to make money and that this is a more or less capitalist economy and that as such they are taking advantage of 'supply and demand'? Adam Smith would approve wouldn't he?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Adam Smith would approve... which left room for Maynard Keynes, since we've all observed that people aren't likely to settle for less (resulting in downward "stickiness" of prices).

Sounds to me like you should job-hunt in Houston.

I was in the exact same situation as you. With 7 years of experience and a PE License, I was unemployed with no leads. My only job offer was for the same amount that I made when I first graduated college. It sucks but I accepted the offer and would recommend you to as well. I would definately keep your eyes open for something better but as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

That's an insulting offer, but if it is your best option I can understand you consideration of it.

But seriously, I'm with Ron on this one. It is absolutely disgusting and degrades our profession when employers do something like that.

here is my salary history..

$110,000/yr (oil and gas BOOM) then got laid off..
after 3 months unemployment, accepted $55,000/yr salary, worked for about 3 months...
resigned 2 months ago.. still jobless =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back