Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I charge to add my stamp? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enggrl

Structural
May 19, 2023
US
I was hired to visit a home where another engineer designed an addition. The stamping engineer disappeared and is unreachable. The contractor and architect were disagreeing on if the addition was built per the engineers specs.

I went to the home under the signed contract that stated, I was there only to note any discrepancies between the built conditions and the engineers drawings. I specifically said in the contract I would not be reviewing the stamped drawings for code compliance.

While on site, I noticed significant deficient items, some of which were detailed wrong in the stamped structural set. Because I wanted to be transparent and ethical, I added those obvious items to my report. I did not review the entire drawing set for code compliance since this was not what I was hired for and the set was stamped by another engineer.

The owner then hired me to create details to fix 2 of the items I noted in my report. One item was due to the contractor not following the set and the other was due to the stamped set not meeting code. In the contract for these details I do not agree to stamp my details.

The owner now wants me to stamp and sign my 2 details. I feel as though I should not add my stamp since I am only taking responsibility for 2 conditions within the entire addition and my original fee did not include the liability of stamped the details. In Ohio, residential project do not require a PE stamp. I do not want to become liable for the entire project when there were obvious code deficiencies.

Would you stamp the details? If so, would you charge an additional fee?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would probably stamp the details. Honestly, unless I'm marking up an architects plans or something like that, I am assuming that my signature and seal will end up on a document for 99% of jobs and factor that into my prices.

And my mindset whenever I send something out is that I would stand by my work and put my seal on it, regardless of whether I'm actually signing or sealing something for a particular project. Nothing that I issue without a seal is any lesser than something I know I am putting my seal on.

And as long as you're not signing and sealing the original plans, your liability for the whole project doesn't change because you signed your two details.

But I would definitely charge for it if the terms change. Even if it's just $100 or $200, charge something. If they don't like it, they can go to school for 4 years, work 4 more years, and then pass the PE test to sign & seal the two details themselves.

There are plenty of "blind stampers" out there that devalue the profession, but that ain't me and I want my clients to know that.

What does your association say? Here the stamp isn't a value add. You aren't less liable for things that you don't stamp that you know are being relied on. You are liable and also potentially not complying with the stamping policy of the regulating body.

The requirement here is that there should be a stamp on anything that is going to be relied upon.

I might have an estimate line item for stamping in a project but that's covering the actual time of the final review and stamping.

A PE stamp may not be required for a residential project, but in many states a PE is required to stamp their final work product.

Here in VA, I could design an entire house using prescriptive code elements, but I would be in violation of state law if I didn't seal it.

As TLHS said, you're liable for the work whether you seal it or not.

I agree with TLHS and phamENG here.

In most states of the US, you, as a licensed engineer, are required to sign and seal your work (if it's to be relied upon as TLHS states).
There's usually no exception to this even if the project at hand doesn't require a seal/signature.

From your description above, it would be good practice to indicate, next to your seal, what exactly your seal is applicable to...identify the portion of the structure, the detail, etc. that you are indicating is your work.

You can, and probably should, also indicate what areas of the structure you HAVE NOT designed and/or reviewed.

That's also a good tip JAE, whenever I S&S something for only a portion of a project, I'll make sure I put a bold note on there explicitly highlighting what I am/ am not responsible for.

I believe Ohio is one of those "stamp your work product" States. Unless your work is clearly marked as preliminary, then you should be willing to seal the work. Seal your report and seal your details.

Definitely charge for it. Then, it's a moot point whether you stamp or not. That would just be a formality. Whenever you observe something then write about it, you will have some level of liability. That would include just walking down the street and observing a column that appears to exceed kl/r of 200 then you put a picture in an email and send it to your friend. Always charge for your time and expertise.

As most others above have stated or alluded to, you should basically be stamping and signing all of work product, unless it's "preliminary" or something along those lines. This is usually spelled out in the engineering laws and rules in each state, though granted the rules and laws do vary from state to state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back