Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I Choose Mechanical or Electrical? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtferris91902

Jul 16, 2005
US
Hey everyone!

I am looking to gain some knowledge by asking this question on this forum with a multitude of experienced engineers.

I will keep my history brief as possible! I am 28 years old, have four years of experience in the USAF working with aircraft (I was a flight engineer) as well as 2 years working for a boat manufacturer as a design engineer using Unigraphics NX4. As a child, I have always been a "hands on" individual, loving to take things apart and figure out why they work the way they do.

I am now returning back to school after completing a B.S. in Aeronautics with minors in Safety and Business from Embry-Riddle (basically, a combo of business/light science). I will be considered an upper-level transfer since I already have my core engineering courses out of the way, so now the question arises...mechanical or electrical?

I ultimately would like to assist in the design of advanced aero-propulsion systems, but lack the field knowledge of how feasible this is in today's economy. So many people have told me "you can't go wrong with electrical..."

Is it true that EEs have more opportunity than MEs? I feel that my interests are most closely related to mechanical engineering, but I don't want to go down a path that will provide less opportunity.

I thank all in advance for your advice/comments!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do both. One engineer is 1/4th of what he/she could be if one sided.
Mechatronics is the wave of the present and future.

Ignore the rivalry comments. That is an indication of equal rigor.
Math? Well, if you don't like math then engineering in general is not the suit.

[peace]
Fe

I must add that in my experience, especially in robotics, the sparkies don't understand the complex dynamics and as a result, can get frustrated. The mechanical's, on the other hand ,don't have the trouble. But most mechanical's wouldn't know where to start when attempting to control the robot.
(just a simple example)...[smile]

[peace]
Fe

Why not study physics? Material science, condensed matter, thermodynamics (statistical mechanics)...All hugely interesting and applicable fields. Combine that with some chemistry, and you'll be way ahead of the curve as far as advanced propulsion systems go.

Physics is really the mindset you want to start from. I know it may not be a popular choice, but that helps you also. Physics is truth, and the rigor (math) it takes to understand the concepts will better position you to derive thoughts on your own. Whether they be advanced field theory for ion propulsion, or whatever.

Just my opinion. (physics undergrad, EE masters, working as an ME)

hmm, this all seems really interesting to me because ive always like electronics and mechanics and im getting ready to go to college... maybe i should look for a "mechatronics" degree somewhere... some really good points in here.

pulsating combustion rules!

Don't get hung up on the term 'mechatronics' it's not always called that, worry about the contents. In the UK it was normally called electro-mechanical. I know here in the states we got interns with 'mechantronics' degrees and some managers didn't know what it was.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Bear in mind that traditionalists often apply "Jack of all trades, master of none" to mechatronics degrees, just as they do to 'multiskilled' technicians. A little harsh perhaps but also an element of truth too. Personally I'd go for a full mechanical or full electrical degree.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Mechanical engineering is more broad, in my opinion and offers a greater depth in understanding engineering in general. Electrical quality issues are often mechanical in nature, with the exception of EMI there is are a host of issues that are mechanical in nature: heat sinks, vibration, smiconductor manufacturing, etc.

I graduated electrical engineering, but I do more work in mechanical by training. I work in fire protection, so I do alarms and suppression.

Its good for an ME to take a few courses in EE though. I would advise circuits, digital circuits, electro-magnetics. All the rest is programming, which you got in your curriculum anyway.

Good options. There are degrees such as a Mechanical Engineering B.Eng. with a mechatronics option. In your fourth year you will take 3-4 courses on electrical engineering.
These may include: circuit theory, electro-mechanical energy conversion, advanced mechatronics, control systems.
(at least I know they do this in Canada and some places in the US)

[peace]
Fe

If you want to looking into a Mechatronics option in Mechanical. For the most part it drops alot of the thermodynamics and fluid mechanics courses (3rd and 4th year levels at least) and replaces them with electrical courses.
I took core mechanical so I cannot give much more information on this, if you would like to check out the course break down you can take a look here University of New Brunswick - Canada, and might be able to find a similar option near you if your interested. gl

-Bean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back