Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I do my Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mminhas

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2005
CA
I've just recently finished my Bachelors in Engineering Systems and Computing focusing on Mechatronics. No I am really confused if I should go on to do my Masters or start working. I currently have zero working experience. But would Masters be of any benefit in the working industry?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your situation is not generic, but here is some generic advice.
Start to work. Take advantage of any training support for your Masters that your company provides. You may want to use the education support a company provides as a part of your determination of where to take a job.
Take 4 or more years to complete your Masters part time.
At a slow pace taking courses you will find if you really want to keep on taking classes. If you decide not to continue, you have not lost much time and did not impact your career or ability to start to contribute to society.
The value of a Masters may be limited to opening some doors but should be most important in your ability to do better at your job.

An alternative option is to start working and do your Masters at the same time. There are part-time courses available (or should be) and if not evening study then your employer may let you take one day off a week to study, and pay for the course too.

corus

If this is the taught one year Master, I support you to continue and start working later. I find myself impossible to study and work together. Maybe I have family and children.

Here is another option: Providing the company you go to work for has an education reimbursement program and the work is in the same area as your masters....I would find it extremely hard to use that work experience to aid you in the pursuit of the masters. I would see it as a distraction to the end result 'the master’s degree'. What I would do is set up your master's program to do summer internships in your area of study which would ultimately support your research.

If you do go to work for a company and get your Masters part time, you should strongly- no, make that REALLY strongly- change companies when you do complete it. At least in the company I work for, you are always thought of as being at the level at which you joined the company. Everyone here (medium to large aerospace company) who got their Bachelor's or Master's degrees at night got NO boost to their career from the additional credentials, while folks who come in with advanced degrees are put on a fast track.

Good luck!

Lee

Lee,

That's good point - I've seen that happen in the past at LMC. I had a cubicle buddy get his MS from Stanford in the honors program then within a few months of graduation he got laid-off because LMC was downturning.

I also recommend going to work and doing your graduate study on the company's dime. It might take longer, but you won't be missing out on the pay and benefits in the mean time.

I would not recommend to go do your master's straight out of school. Work in industry find out what you like and do a master's later if it works out.

I completed my MS directly after receiving my BS. However, my future wife was on still on campus and I wanted the MS for personal satisfaction. I don't use it in my current job.

You need to ask yourself why you want the MS degree. Do you want to get more knowledge in a specific area or do you want it for your own satisfaction?

If you want to become specialized in a certain field, then I'd recommend you work for a year or so then continue your education. How else will you know if you enjoy the specific field, you said you don't have real world experience.

Good Luck,

It looks like you have received all the right advice - go to work and take advantage of company assisted Masters program, understand why you want a Masters and understand that you may not see benefit in a company once you get your Masters.

In my situation, I went back for my Masters for 3 reasons:

* My company paid for it all.
* I wanted to have the degree to allow me to teach at a college level.
* I wanted to have the degree to allow me to move into management at another company.

As it turns out, my move into management at another company turned into a failure for me - but each failure teaches us what our limitations are and how to regonize when we are moving in the wrong direction. I am back in an engineering role, much happier and looking to continue part-time teaching. So for me - getting my Masters was the right step.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back