Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I learn to weld, how to design LED lighting, or fire dance? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

casseopeia

Structural
Jan 4, 2005
US
While unemployed, I have been looking for ways to fill my time with projects. I now have an opportunity to work as a volunteer for The Crucible, a non-profit creative arts and education facility that has classes in stone cutting, metal working, foundry, electronics, kinetics, sculpture, fire dancing, welding, etc. As a volunteer I can choose any class at no cost.

Although fire dance is intriguing, I don’t really have any intention of using it in performance. I don't have anywhere to practice and there aren't many places to do it other than Burning Man.

So now I’m looking at the class list within the framework of learning something that would look good on my resume. Mig and Tig welding are a consideration because they have special all girls classes, but then machining and electronics look interesting as well.

So if you were going to hire a forensic architect to gather and analyze field data for various types of building and structural failures, what would be best? Seriously, I’m really torn.

Here's a link to their class overview if interested...

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take them all - just one at a time. Architects wouldn't use most or many of those except maybe sculpture. As an engineer - the more I know about welding - the more I would understand the forensics. Then go from there...

What DO YOU WANT to know more about. That may lead you to "another" life??!!

I vote for either metal working or (mig / tig) welding. Both would be a good practical skill to have. Following that, go for what interests you the most.

Years ago, I worked in a shipyard that built submarines.
They offered a night course called 'welding for nonwelders', probably in an effort to find people who were suited to the work but didn't know it.

Best course I ever took.

( Worst sunburn I ever got; TIG welding in a t-shirt, after weeks of MMA covered in leather. )

What will surprise you, and please you when you can master it, is that welding is primarily a mental exercise. You absolutely _must_ tune out all distractions near and far, emotional or physical, real or imagined. You will then be able to ignore anything, or anyone. It will be liberating.

Do it before your eyes go.

Answer to obvious question: I think old welders do it by sound, and smell, and the appearance of whatever light they can still see, and >>they can feel the force of the arc's magnetic field<<.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Given your professional area of expertise, I'd expect the welding would be a no brainer as most directly relevant for on your resume. Now I don't know how different 'artistic' welding might be from structural welding but I'd guess it's the most relevant. After that I'd guess maybe metal working, then perhaps stone cutting but what the heck would I know.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

is this the same Crucible where the Mythbusters are always going? either way, that sounds really cool.

my Daddy taught me to weld and I have to say the guys have always been impressed...

seriously though, I'd also look at things like classes in historic preservation (the technical side) and any construction classes to get hands-on experience. you could also talk with the folks at the National Academy of Forensic Engineers ( - they've also got a journal which may be full of helpful info and job leads!

cheers, Linnea

Yes Sita, it's the same Crucible. The funny thing is the first I learned of the place was when I went there on an inspection related to litigation that involved the building. Now I will be returning as an unemployed volunteer. How things change.......

I envy you these options...
I agree with most here that welding would probably be most practical on the jub front. I sure would like to take some of those glass classes though!

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Seems to me that knowing the difference between a good and bad weld would be useful for forensic investigations, unless your particular forensics doesn't get into that level of detail...

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Onerynorsk, stonecutting is indeed a lost art. Fortunately I have relatives who do this, including an uncle in his 70's who came out of retirement because no good stone masons could be found where he lived in Washington. I think I'm still leaning toward learning to weld first and hoping I'll have a chance to take other courses.

I know welding from a purely theoretical view and have inspected welds on structures. But learning from a practical standpoint is invaluable though out here in California I am less likely to need the added skill

My brother in Chicago is in favor of welding but wanted to know how much more would be needed to get certified so he could put me to work. I guess he's never going to forgive me for dressing him up as a girl when he was a toddler.

" I guess he's never going to forgive me for dressing him up as a girl when he was a toddler. "

As a younger brother to 2 sisters, I can confirm that we tend to remember ill treatment when younger!;-)

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Was going to say the same as Mike.

Also, that could lead to welding inspection once you have some experience (not totally required for a CWI, but would be better than not).

That type of work is still going pretty strong in some fields, such as power plants.

You absolutely _must_ tune out all distractions near and far, emotional or physical, real or imagined. You will then be able to ignore anything, or anyone. It will be liberating.
^ Is why most of the welders I know need time to study for tests, paper or "fluid".

Take a look at their life expectancies as well before deciding on welding as an alternative career...

But for sure you should learn to weld!

Good for the career and good for the soul.

Then take the rest in order of interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back