Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I learn to weld, how to design LED lighting, or fire dance? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

casseopeia

Structural
Jan 4, 2005
US
While unemployed, I have been looking for ways to fill my time with projects. I now have an opportunity to work as a volunteer for The Crucible, a non-profit creative arts and education facility that has classes in stone cutting, metal working, foundry, electronics, kinetics, sculpture, fire dancing, welding, etc. As a volunteer I can choose any class at no cost.

Although fire dance is intriguing, I don’t really have any intention of using it in performance. I don't have anywhere to practice and there aren't many places to do it other than Burning Man.

So now I’m looking at the class list within the framework of learning something that would look good on my resume. Mig and Tig welding are a consideration because they have special all girls classes, but then machining and electronics look interesting as well.

So if you were going to hire a forensic architect to gather and analyze field data for various types of building and structural failures, what would be best? Seriously, I’m really torn.

Here's a link to their class overview if interested...

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Careful34, I don't think anyone here believes that this course will turn Cass into a Welding expert or the like.

However, of the options, it seems about most relevant to someone like Cass that gets involved in structural litigation and the like.

I fail to see how machining is more directly relevant.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

careful34, do you weld?

True, you can be a welding inspector without being physically able to weld to the quality standards of a professional, or to do basic inspection. But actually DOING IT teaches the average person quite a lot of things. Having an appreciation for the skills and difficulties of the people who are called upon to implement your designs is unbelievably important to engineers of all stripes.

I agree somewhat with Careful34...

I welded all 4 years of high school and took two classes in college for my own entertainment while getting my civil engineering degree. I'm not a phenomenal welder, but I can use pretty much any process in any position.

It comes up every summer that I go out and do some weld inspections. It has been useful for me to have a feel for a good weld from a bad weld visually, but this is something that can be easily taught to a non welder. And of course a visually good weld doesn't mean it actually is good. Knowing how to weld might clue you in on small imperfections on the surface but tell little of what is inside.

With that said, I really enjoy welding. I would recommend taking the welding class if it is something you think you would like and not be too concerned about how it will benefit you as an engineer. Of all the trades I have learned (however mediocre I may be at them), welding is by far my favorite.

Okay, I should add that taking the class could help improve your understanding of the "constructability" of welded connections... if that was a concern. Most of the welds I design are usually easily accessed.

It's not about if welding class is the best possible thing she could do.

It's whether it's the most relevant of a limited selection.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Sure, I can see that. I just wanted to suggest that casseopeia take the class for her own enjoyment, and if she picks up something she can use at work along the way its a bonus. I imagine at the end of the welding class you will be able to infer why the weld is no good or what happened during the process, not just that it is no good. Either way, I'd recommend taking the welding class.

Alright. I'll revise my state and say that for a forensic architect welding may be marginally more useful than machining or electronics. I wouldn't be bragging about it on my resume however.

I would have thought that the Jewelry class would be most appealing to the opposite sex, but that just goes to show what I know about the opposite sex.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field

"You absolutely _must_ tune out all distractions near and far, emotional or physical, real or imagined."

Well said, Mike.

Years ago I took a trade school welding course, and the instructor, ( who looked like a fugitive from "Deliverance") had on his desk this book:

a favorite quote:
"In the case of archery, the hitter and the hit are no longer two opposing objects, ..."

A strange juxtaposition, to be sure, a Zen quoting, redneck welding instructor. He tried to teach, not just technique, but love of the process, and the "art" of getting "in the zone"

When done well, TIG welding, altho an industrial process, comes close to art.

I'm a female manufacturing engineer and I have been studying metal working (manual and CNC machining) since 2004, but even with all the academic experience, the certifications, the fact I have a small machine shop at home, and the letters of recommendation from various instructors, I still can't get work in the industry. I have yet to interview at a shop that had any women working as machinists or CNC programmers, but I have seen plenty in the manual deburr and inspection areas. I'm ready to throw in the shop rag.

Anyway, TIG is a great skill to learn, but I would also check out MIG welding as the equipment is cheaper purchase and maintain if you should decide to take up welding as a hobby.

- Linda

Linda,
Don't give up. Sounds like your experience and academic background are excellent...you just need an opportunity to prove yourself.

Manufacturing "engineering" is a broad term that can fit a lot of applications. Diversify a bit until you find what you want to do.

Good luck.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back