Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I reduce soil strength for non-liquefiable soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainandcm

Geotechnical
Jan 22, 2015
US
If my liquefaction analysis indicate the soil will liquefy, there is enough research there to estimate my residual strength after liquefaction.

However, if my liquefaction analysis indicate my soil won't liquefy (FS>1), should I also reduce my strength? FS>1 may still suggest partial liquefaction, and certain level of exess pore pressure has built up. Is this worth to consider? Any reference?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at paper by Marcuson et al (1990) where they provide guidance on shear strength based on Factor of Safety (>1.0) against liquefaction

Marcuson, W. F., Hynes, M. E., and Franklin, A. G., 1990, “Evaluation and Use of Residual Strength in Seismic Safety Analysis of Embankments,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 529-572.

Further to Moe333's suggestion, suggest you find a copy of Steven Kramer's book 'Geotechnical Earthquake Engienering' - good book and he references Moe333's suggested paper and so many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back