Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I take this job offer? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradpa77

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2006
US
So, I've been pretty unhappy at my current job for a while. I've been on the prowl for something better and I just got an offer for something new the other day. I'm a mechanical engineer and my main complaint with my current job is that I basically do the same FEA analysis day in and day out. This new job is at a consulting firm and the interviewer basically told me that you never know what will end up on your desk. It sounds like it will have a lot of variety and give me a lot of chances to learn and grow in my profession.

Here's the bad part. The position requires a lot of travel. On top of that, I am expecting my first child in August. Which is great news. The offer says that I could expect 1-2 trips per month average with each trip lasting about 2-3 days each. That's a lot of travel for me. I don't travel at all in my current job. I don't want to leave my family alone for that much time. I'm just nervous it will cause too much tension between me and my wife and I will want to see my new kid and be there for him/her as much as I can in the early years.

Of course the new job comes with a very significant raise so that would help. Plus, surprisingly this new job seems more stable than my current job. They are starting to outsource my FEA work to India at my current position and they just announced a hiring freeze here. So not only am I scared of getting the boot but that kind of kills my hopes of an internal job posting coming up that would allow me to move within the company. This new place does a lot of consulting for nuclear power plants and it seems like that industry is booming regardless of the economy. I even asked at the interview about how the economy has effected their business and he said that it wasn't even an issue. They are growing so fast that they can't seem to fill spots fast enough.

Considering the economy, job openings like this are going to be hard to come by. So what the heck do I do? I'm torn here. There are many positives to switching but there is one big negative ... the travel. I don't know what to do.

Anyone have any wisdom or advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your company sounds a lot like mine. A big part of my job is oversight of FE analysis done in India. Keep in mind your company is certainly going to need someone to coordinate that. Also, remember that with that role you would have a huge bargaining chip in your hands. I save my company $300,000-$400,000/yr with all the analysis I oversee vs. having full-time employees do that. Come raise time it's good to be able to wave that fact around!

If you foresee job happiness issues with your current job I would leave though. What could be better than a better job and more $$?

One thing that I really looked forward to when I was away for a few days is when my young daughter saw me in the airport - she would raise both her arms up and yell "Daddy" and get to me before I got all the way into the terminal (this was before 9-11-2001).
Absence make the love grow stronger.

My second child was born a couple of months back, and while I won't admit this to my wife, traveling 2-3 days twice a month is extremely relaxing.

My wife usually gets family to come over to help when I am gone. So it's not like I am putting to much pressure on her.

Zuccus

Lots of good input here. Another thing to consider. Do you and your wife have family and/or friends that can help out. Having support around will make life easier (esp. for your wife) while you're away on business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back