Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I take this job? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desdichado

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2005
US
In December I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I had a decent GPA of 3.11 when I graduated, yet Ive been having a hard time finding a job. I was recently offered a job as a fire protection designer where I would be designing sprinkler systems. The offer is ok, but Im afraid the experience wont be worth much when I look for an engineering job.

The position they offered me is usually offered to people with an associates degree in fire protection. I will be using Autocad and Hydracad to do the design work. I am really interested in design engineering, but I took classes in FEA and Solid design using Unigraphics and IDEAS.

I would love to take this job because its been months since Ive worked and I need the money, but I dont know if it will advance my engineering career. Does anyone have any advice? Ive also passed the FE exam in Michigan, but the company that gave me an offer has no PEs on staff. I am not sure, but I believe that I will not be able to get my PE with this as my only work experience.

Please advise me!

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fire water protection systems? There is a lot of engineering involved in that.
Remote start combustion engines that start firewater pumps, control valves to maintain pressure. LPG bullets with infrared sensors, water basins, foam mixers, pipe lines, computer operated controls, etc.. At least in an oil refinery this is mission critical equipment you hope never to use, but it must always be tested and ready.

The way I understand it, is that will just be looking at blue prints, plugging a couple numbers in a a computer program, then designing where the prinkler heads go.

I may be missing something, but they have no engineers on staff as of now(out of 200 employees).

If you seen no educational value in this job, and if you think you already have it figured out as a fresh grad, and if you think all it will be is plugging in numbers in a computer, then either the company offering it to you are a bunch of idiots for trying to get an engineer of your caliber to fill it when they could get someone with an AAS degree, or you are greatly oversimplfying things and overstating the value of your 3.11 GPA.

Well rhodie, I dont really think I have it all figured out as a fresh grad. Im not even sure what you mean by that. I also dont think they are a bunch of idiots.

The bottom line is that there is a shortage of Fire Protection Designers out there and they need anyone with a technical background.
On the flip side, there is a shortage of entry level engineering jobs out there for Mechanical Engineers.

So in a way they will take me because they need someone, and I will probably take the job because I need money.

I guess what I was looking for was someone in the engineering field that knows about Fire Protection Designers and can see possible doors that could be opened for a mechanical engineer that worked as one for a couple years.

Sorry if I wasnt clear enough in the first post. I really just found this website on a whim and I saw alot of constructive opinions on other posts.

Sorry to make you so upset rhodie.

One thought: Fire protection engineering seems like a good field, one with growth opportunity, limited competition and difficulty in offshoring. A PE and expertise in that field would let you work in that line forever, I think. You could also get into forensics.

Overall, it sounds like a decent job for a new grad. Plan to do it for 2-3 years, save your money, network, learn, and figure out where you really want to work. Then, after awhile, consider whether you're ready to make a move or whether you want to go to grad school.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

you could also try moving to the midwest and working for International Trucks - they use UG. That's a good starting job too, and a way to get your foot in the door in "automotive" if that's what you're into.

Just for kicks, I googled around a bit and found that U of Maryland has an online MS in Fire Protection Engineering. If I were in your situation, and I was interested in a career as a fire protection engineer, I'd take the job and enroll in an online grad program.

Perhaps your new boss will even pay your tuition.

In the case of the Maryland program, it costs $660 per unit which seems commensurate with the fees for online programs from *real* universities. An investment of $25,000 or so would get you there, though.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

Thanks for the advice guys, I really apreciate it. I am so glad I found this website. Im from a small town so I don't ever get a chance to ask any engineers for advice. Thanks again.

I agree with svanels. I suggest take the job. I started in a similar feild and learned a lot! It is almost the same as having feild experience, IMO is worth to know before you start doing design work.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

I've worked for two large chemical companies for 26 years. Each one has had several fire protection engineers (FPEs) on staff and supplemented peak work load periods from contractors.

They get to do grassroot designs to improving existing systems to troubleshooting defective designs and equipment. They travel the world doing fire protection audits on plants. I personnally requested one of our FPEs to audit several plants in Asia, South America and the Middle East. They also lias between the company and our insurance carriers. And, every project must have their fire protection system reviewed AND approved, so they do have quite a bit of authority!

Our FPEs that have about 20 years of experience are making about $100,000 per year salary, this does not count their variable pay.

Just like any job, it is what you make of it. Once you get the experience and earn the reputation as a good FPE, there are a lot of companies out there that use those talents. It's also a good field for starting your own business once you get the expertise.

Good luck,
Latexman

"The offer is ok, but Im afraid the experience wont be worth much when I look for an engineering job."

Why would you take a job when in the back of your mind you're looking for a different one? Try to determine for yourself whether you want THIS job or not...

Desdichado,

Fire Protection Engineering is a growing field. It is also a field that has design professionals of mixed backgrounds within it as you have discovered. Some of the designers are contractors and some are degreed engineers and some are PEs. There is a push currently to make Fire Protection the purview of engineers only. You can indeed make a career of this specialty. Most of the colleges that teach mechanical engineering don't have it on their radar, so its no surprise that you don't know much about it. A couple of resources for you are:

a) Society Of Fire Protection Engineers
b) Fire Protection Engineering magazine
c) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)

You just graduated, have no experience, need some money, and you have an offer in hand. That just about decides it for you.

Chances are you will not keep this job, or it will not last if you wanted to. It is a start. You will learn from it. Your next job will be something better and you don't have to be in a hurry to find it. Good luck.

Go for it. Fire protection is a respectable field, and you can parlay it into large building work, where fire protection is a major specialty. My brother is in it, and we had some consultation over the years.

EngJW is right. To that I add the old axiom: It is better to look for a job while you have one. A potential employer will value a prospect who is employed over one who is unemployed (other attributes of the prospects, notwithstanding).

Additionally, the fire protection designer job seems pretty close to your chosen direction when compared to the myriad of jobs I have seem other degreed engineers take: cashier, pizza delivery, florist. You just might like it. Indeed you may rise in the ranks much faster in a company that lacks the appropriately trained personell.

The one negative I see is that you will have no PEs to facilitate your own registration. That being said, I have been a registered PE for seventeen years, and I think your contribution to the profession may well surpass its contribution to you.

Good Luck

If you are going to be the only degreed engineer on the staff, you may end up on a fast track to bigger and better things in the company. Give it a shot and if you don't like it, keep looking for a better job.

I suggest that you read "How To Win Friends And Influence People" by Dale Carnagie. The things I have learned from that book have helped me in every aspect of my life. Especially in obtaining a job and networking.

I think the bottom line is you need to know what will make you happy in your chosen career. A class that was required for all engineering student at my college was Eng 194 Career Development: where we were tasked with figuring out what were our interests, strengths, and weeknesses. We also had to network with past engineering graduates. I went one step further....I did an on-site informational interview. The guy I contacted was really nice and open about his career choices. I paid for all the expenses for this three day trip to Portland Oregon. I even bought the guy lunch for his time. Only you can make this choice and only you can take ultimate responsibility for your career. I also like this website...it's like having an on-line mentor. [thumbsup2]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

Guys,
Thanks so much for your input!!! I think I may like this job. I took the offer. I will try to get back to this post and let you know my findings.

Again, thanks alot! I was so apprehensive(sp?) about this particular job, as far advancement would go as a mechanical engineer. I have a background in HVAC and plumbing (I enjoyed both alot). So this job seems right up my ally I guess. Like I said before I just didnt want to commit myself to something I couldnt advance as an engineer in.

I have read all your posts and looked in to all of your tips, and this like a great oppurtunity for me.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back