Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should Wood Splits like this be epoxy filled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC77

Structural
Aug 14, 2008
US
This is in a Building from the late 1800s in NYC. 100psf LL seems fine for the member sizes provided the wood strength is in the upper values for Bending and compression. Many of the beams and columns have what appears to be drying shrinkage on the lower 4 floors only and a beam supporting a skylight at the roof that is exposed to plenty of sunlight. The columns in the the affected stories are about 11" square, the beams 13"x11". The building is 7 stories. The splits go the full length of the columns, and full length of the beams around the neutral axis. some are below the N/A. The splits are only on 1 side and are close to 50% through the beam. The deflections do not seem excessive.
1) Based on the above does this column appear to need repair?
2) If yes, is an epoxy repair the recommended repair?
3) Does the cause of the cracks whether drying or stress make a difference as to whether to repair or leave as is?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need to decide whether it is a check or a split and then determine its effect on the member. For beams that are checked (typically green timbers check as they dry), you may have shear resistance issues. Ie, if the beam split all the way through, you'd have a much less stiff member. However, with 50% of the beam still at the neutral axis, you still have the full "I" of the section.

For the beam, I'd check to see if the checked section can handle the shear at the support and the whole section takes the bending/deflection elsewhere.

The checking in the column doesn't look too unusual to me.

you might start with some research here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back