Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show All Names (ex: V6506) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tominsky67

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2007
CA
In Draft mode (SE V15), how can I transfer a dimension "name" into a call out so that it will update if I change the model... For example... I smart dimension a thru hole but I manually add the counterbore dimensions to that thru hole via the Dimension Prefix box.... but by doing this, the Cbore dia. and depth are not parametric.... I added 2 other smart dimensions to the Cbore diameter and to the depth but I would like to transfer their "names" (ex: V6506)into the prefix box instead of actually just typing in the values.... This is usually done by added some kind of code before the "V" value.. I hope someone can help me

Thanks,

Tom...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you had a look at "hole callout" when using the callout command? This requires you to set up this function in the dimension style but it is very useful when you want to get the thread information and all that stuff.

You can also use the holes reference buttons that you have in that same dimension prefix box that you are writing your information into.

Take a look at that and if you don't find what you are looking for, just tell me and I'll explain more in detail. But remember that these features work with the hole feature so you have to make the hole in your part with this feature or SE won't find the information.

Good luck

Patrick

daaaaa... Thanks! that was easy...

1 other stupid question... the hole call out dimensions are at 2 decimal places, where do you change them to 3??? They are modeled at 3 places....

one other thing.... what if I did not use a hole feature but 2 cut-outs to create the hole and C'bore..... Is there a way of doing it like I asked in the original post, by using the dimension "names"?

Hello,

To change the dimension to 3 point decimal, click on the dimension and what's known as the ribbon bar will appear. On the ribbon bar is the dimension standard (ANSI etc.) then the decimal place pull down. Further to the right are very useful tools to add prefixes, suffixes etc. The last two buttons are for setting tolerances, fit classes, basic dimensions and reference dimensions.

Kyle

I do get that ribbon call out for regular dimensions but the decimal place pull down does not appear for hole call out dimensions.... any other ideas how to set the number of decimal places for a hole call out??

thanks

Tom I don't think that there is a way of getting the variable names as you want to do. The only way I'm seeing is to create a detail view of the hole and dimensioning it directly on the draft.

Sorry!

Pat

That's strange, so why would they have that option when you right click on a dimension? (Show All Names) What is this used for?

Tom...

I do get that ribbon call out for regular dimensions but the decimal place pull down does not appear for hole call out dimensions.... any other ideas how to set the number of decimal places for a hole call out??

thanks

"I do get that ribbon call out for regular dimensions but the decimal place pull down does not appear for hole call out dimensions.... any other ideas how to set the number of decimal places for a hole call out?"

You will need to create a new style for your callouts. By default your callout is probably using the built-in ANSI style. Create a new style called HOLE CALLOUTS (or anything that makes sense) and set the decimal places. Now apply this new style to your callout.

David

"You will need to create a new style for your callouts. By default your callout is probably using the built-in ANSI style. Create a new style called HOLE CALLOUTS (or anything that makes sense) and set the decimal places. Now apply this new style to your callout."

How does one go about doing this?

Thanks, tom..

Format-Style then click the New button to the right. Define the parameters of your new style making sure the decimal place setting are how you want them.

Once created select your callout and choose the new style from the ribbom bar Style drop down box.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back