Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Showing a calculated property on a drawing BOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreaq

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2005
CA
I have a SW part file with the following property "D1@Boss-Extrude1@part1.Part", which references the parts extrude length.

I want to show this value on my drawing's bom, but when I add it, it lists the name and not the value.

Can I make it evaluate the value, or somehow get it to show the value of this property?

thanks in advance,

phreaq
Has anyone seen my brain today? (^_^)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is quite easy to do. Read up on BOMs in the help. All you will be doing is creating a new BOM column, and linking it to the custom property in the file. The methods are different for SW table style bill or XL

hi gwubs,

You're right it is easy, so easy in fact, I already did that.

The problem is the BOM is not showing the 'number' value, it's showing "D1@Boss-Extrude1@part1.Part" in my bom.

phreaq
Has anyone seen my brain today? (^_^)

phreaq - is the dimension in a custom property? If so, is it solving in the properties tab? The string should show up in the Value/Text Expression field and the bit you can read as a dimension should show up in Evaluated Value field. If it does not, select it again in your model. Please note that adding double quotes in a string will mess up it's ability to be evaluated.

phreaq,

Can you control D1@Boss-Extrude1@part1.Part from a design table?

If you can, then it is trivial to add this to your description. Assume your extrude length is in cell J3.

="MY EXTRUSION "&J3&"in LONG"

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back