Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

showing open and close strategy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caper1

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2003
US
Hi All Users:

I’m looking for the best strategy to show a cabinet assembly with door open and door closed.

I can create a family table of the hinge one open and one closed and then a family table of the cabinet assembly with my generic have both versions of the hinge and having 2 doors in the assembly and door 1 constrained to the open hinge and door 2 constrained to the closed hinge.

Is this my best way to approach this to double up on my hinges, doors, and assemblies?

I’ve also tried using the flex feature with the hinge but it causes problems with my pro process steps not displaying the hinge in the drawings.

-Caper-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks camcadguy but it suggests putting all the hinges in the generic assembly

from artical:
"Assemble all of the instances in the family table to the top-level assembly."

so Marty is doing it basicly the same as I know what will work, but is that best way to go about this?

still searching.

It's funny I just happened to read that and it's a old tip.. I thought it was sounding like the same method you were using.. being friday.. brain drain is setting in

let us know what you come up with

If the hinge position is controlled by a dimension, you can do it using Pro/Program. This is in Wildfire, but the only difference is how to get into the Pro/Program menu if you are using 2001.

Lets say your assembly is CABINET.ASM and the hinge is HINGE.PRT.

First, in HINGE.PRT, create a parameter called ANGLE (or something similar) and equate the dimension that controls the hinge angle to this parameter.

Then, go into Tools->Program and select Edit Program

Add the line in red:

INPUT
ANGLE NUMBER
END INPUT

Say yes to incorporating the changes, and have it regen with the currrent values for now.

Now, open up CABINET.ASM.

Go into Tools-> Program and Edit Program once again.

Here is a sample of what your Pro/Program might look like:

INPUT

HINGE_OPEN YES_NO
"Is the hinge open?"

END INPUT

RELATIONS

IF HINGE_OPEN == YES
HINGE_ANGLE = 90
ELSE
HINGE_ANGLE = 0
ENDIF

END RELATIONS

EXECUTE PART HINGE
ANGLE = HINGE_ANGLE
END EXECUTE

... (The Pro/Program proceeds to add all the features and components)

The EXECUTE statement allows you to execute any Pro/Programs in lower-level components. You can only equate the ANGLE parameter to HINGE_ANGLE if it is designated as an input parameter in HINGE.PRT's Pro/Program.

Hope this helps.. let me know if it works for you..

If you have the hinge axis and angled ASM planes at assembly level or hinge assembly level you can mate to these and control them with a Top-Level Assembly parameter through relations.

Michael

Try using Pro/Mechanism module and create mechanism, which includes hinge spinning around axis. You can set limits (say 0 and 90 degrees) and then drag the hinge from one end to another. As of 2001 Flexible Advantage Package licence Pro/Mechanism module is included in basic licence.

You should be able to make the hinge angle a dimension in your assembly. Then just add that dimension to your assembly family table. So you have two instances on the assembly, open & closed but no extra parts.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Here is what I've decided to use.
Hinge assembly with family table Hinge_OPEN & Hinge_CLOSE
Door assembly with family table Door_OPEN & Door_CLOSE. With generic assembly having both hinge assemblies.
In my Cabinet assembly I use Door_CLOSE assembly but when I create the PRO/Process assembly I add Door_OPEN assembly and omit using the Door_CLOSE assembly.

The reason for my decision is the door is open for assembly purposes only while the finish product will have the door closed.

-Caper-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back