Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shown/opposite prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaineam

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2012
US
I am trying to find out a way to create an opposite print from a shown print. We have had alot of mistakes made lately from people not being able to interoperate an opposite part from a shown print. We have way too many part numbers to mirror models and make a print from scratch especially the intricate prints that have 300+ dimensions and specs. I am wanting to take a shown print that is already made and basically mirror it to have opposite views of shown and keep all the dimensions and tolerances associated to each part.

If anyone has or is doing this and could point me into the right direction i would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you suggesting that you want to create a Drawing which shows a mirrored Model WITHOUT actually mirroring the Model? What are you going to do when someone asks for that Model for say manufacturing (tool path generation) or analysis or to be used for the build-up of an Assembly?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

We are wanting to mirror the print so that both prints (shown and opposite) are exactly the same. This would be cumbersome to do when you get prints with hundreds of dimensions and bubbles for the FAI. What i said above in the first paragraph wasn't exactly correct. We have models of the opposite part to put toolpath to or flat patterns for sheetmetal etc, but dont want to waste time making prints from scratch if there was a way to mirror the print and keep the dimensions associative.

Thanks for any help.

If you're doing Master Model Drafting (where the Drawing file is an Assembly) have tried to simply replace the 'As Shown' part with the 'Opposite' and then let the associative nature of the Dimensions and Annotation update? If the two models are of the same origin, that is the 'Opposite' is copied from the 'As Shown' then most of the Dimensions should update correctly. Granted, there may be some reattaching to do, but it should be minimal.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back