Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shrinkage and Temperature Steel In Mat Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berniedog

Structural
Dec 19, 2005
US
I need help. The Soils engineer made us increase the depth of our mat foundation by 16 inches. We forgot to increase the S & T steel. The reviewing Engineer has had our calculations for over 3 weeks. The Contractor has all the rebar set and is ready to pour tuesday. Well, the reviewing Engineer called me at 4:15 today. I found out we have more than enough S & T steel in one direction but not enough in the other direction.

Does anyone know of any loop holes where we can get out of adding S & T steel? The foundation will be buried underground and it is certainly strong enough.
Help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you get the contractor to balance out the S&T steel? Or even get some rebar to site? I mean, you still have to Tuesday. How big is the mat?

Would having void form/insulation ever help the need for the full S&T requirement?

Maybe place the mat in strip sections, parallel to the direction with the heavier reinforcement. That way you lessen the shrinkage stresses in the transverse direction. Whether or not you can accommodate a construction joint depends on your design, but it’s one approach to consider.

This is from ACI 350. Sections over 24" can have T&S based on 12" for each face. They are using higher minimums since the document concerns environmental structures, but depending on your dimensions you may be able to take advantage of it.
Untitled_hexcch.png

It is a ring foundation for a 30' diameter water pedestal. It is 10' wide and 64" deep. Transeverse steel is #6 @ 6" top and #7 @ 6" bottom

Longitudal steel is (13) #6 top and bottom.

We have enough S&T steel in the transverse direction but not enough in the other direction.

It is formed and the rebar is set and ready for a tuesday pour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back