Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown philosophy for well testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbvn

Petroleum
Jan 26, 2010
VN
Gents,

Our philosophy for existing facilities when the Test separator is shutdown (USD) by PSHH/PSLL/LSLL then the well was flowing into it will auto shut in( close all Xtree valves)and both SDVs at test and production manifold closed, we think this is normal philosophy for all WHP,

However as our new WHP is unmanned and located very far from our central processing platform so we are considering to change our philosophy as whenever the test separator upsets(PSHH/PSLL) it will open the SDV at production manifold and lead the well flowing into it( not shut in the well).

the reason for this changing is when the well is auto shut in ,the sequence is close SDV valves at test and Production manifold then close Xtree valve,as the timing for Xtree valves closing is longer than SDV at manifold so we have pressure increase in flowline and it may activate the PSV in flowline and there is a trap pressure in the flowline ( from Xtree to Manifolds),when we restart up we have to manual depressure flow line( to avoid high DP acrross the valve).

So when Test separtor gets PSHH/PSLL it will open the SDV at production manifold then let the well flowing into it, and it will not shut in the well.This philosophy will save our lost production as well as easy for operation point of view.

Is this philosophy acceptalbe? or any advise on this.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is really confusing. I'd like to help, but I just don't get it. Can you restate the problem? what is "lead the well flowing into it"?

That meant the well will flow into production manifold and the well will not be shut in.

Thanks for your help

LSLL - since it has nothing to do with the well, I'd just shut the valve on liquid drainage line, to prevent from gas break through.

PSHH - it seems, that your piping design pressure (PSV set) is below well static pressure? If it's the case, and you have PSHH activated I would not agree to operate. If you face problems with pressure peak, I'd switch into production manifold, then shut down the well and after that the manifold. What if PSHH means something wrong is going on in the well?

PSLL - Why is there a need to do anything in this case? Should not operator decide?

Kind regards
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back