Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Side Thrust Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadJones

Structural
Jan 14, 2010
US
Curious how others handle side thrust loads from cranes.
do you take your side thrust loads to both runway girders or do you take all the side thrust to one side only?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Toad,

I have always taken side thrust to each side. It may be a bit conservative, but the bridge is not rigidly connected to opposing rails, so there could be a little play.

BA

Many times the wheels are double flanged and you can split the loads. When I'm feeling more conservative I figure the load is divided through friction by the respective wheel loads. All to one side seems too conservative to me.

Thanks yins,
I have done it both ways and was curious what others do.
With magnet/scrap cranes I usually put the entire side thrust to one side.

According to the NBC (National Building Code of Canada), the magnitude of the horizontal force is 20% of the sum of the weights of the lifted load and the crane trolley. That force may be equally distributed on each side of the runway and can act in either direction.

This would be consistent with the method used by JLNJ.

BA

I think when designing crane runways, you need to pick a standard and stick with it throughout. When I was in the US, we used the AISE "Guide for the Design and Construction of Mill Buildings" and James Fisher's book "Light and Heavy Industrial Buildings". Different standards take a slightly different approach.

According to the CISC Design Guide for Crane-Supporting Steel Structures "side thrust is distributed to each side of the runway in accordance with the relative lateral stiffness of the supporting structures."

Hi all. I really need your help please. I want to ask about CISC Design guide for Crane Supporting Steel Structure.

It is written in table 2.1 about "Crane Vertical Load, Side Thrust and Tractive Force as Pecentages of Respective Load" that the Total Side Thrust (two sides) is Greatest of :
40% of Lifted Load,
20% of Combined Weight of Lifted Load and Trolley,
or 10% of Combined Weight of Lifted Load and Crane.

I'm confused about the 40% of Lifted load part since it is very large. Is there any special condition to apply this part or should I go with 20% of Combined Weight?

Thank you for your help.

You go with the GREATEST of those combinations. That's what your criterion states. No shortcut.

Next time start a new thread, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back