Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidewalk constructed against Miami curb

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngWannabe7

Civil/Environmental
Mar 4, 2021
US
I am in a debate regarding whether a sidewalk can be constructed against a Miami curb in Florida. The FDOT specs 522-001 only shows a sidewalk mounting to a Type F curb but does not specify if it can or cannot be constructed against a Miami curb. Is a sidewalk able to be constructed against a Miami curb and if so what alterations, if any, need to be made to the sidewalk? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the issue:

Link

miami_xhut33.jpg

There's no problem with casting a sidewalk against a mountable (Miami) curb. Since the height of the mountable curb on the back side is lower than a barrier curb (Type F in Florida), the subgrade for the sidewalk will require more excavation to get the slab thickness.

Thank you both. I greatly appreciate your insight. I was concerned with the Miami curb being confused for a ramp since the slope is well over the 8.3%. It was pointed out to me that this falls more under pedestrian drop off, to which it complies, and not ADA requirements. ADA compliance on the Miami curb is only an issue at the ADA ramps. Thanks again for your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back