Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

siemens dc drives, diagrams 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiplonkar

Electrical
Apr 18, 2003
IN
Does any one have diagrams / manual / link to sites with pdf file giving details DC DRIVES OF SIMENS MAKE, TYPE ANALOG, 6RA2283 8DS31. I AM LOOKING FOR DIAGRAMS/MANUALS FOR TIS TYPE WHICH HAS 5 MODULSES INSERTED IN SOCKETS ON MAIN BOARD. THESE ARE CALLED U30, U31 ETC. ( I HAVE DETAILED DRAWINGS OF SIMILAR TYPE , BUT WITH SMD PARTS VISIBLE ON MAIN BOARD. I WANT DIAGRAMS MAIN BOARD WITH HYBRID MODULES IN PLACE OF SMD PARTS . PLEASE HELP )

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

have you asked siemens?

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

How do you know that our friend hasn't called Siemens? Or their representative?

These drives are from 1980 - 1990 and all such equipment is now rated "Obsolete". That is how Siemens and ABB and most other drive manufacturers protect themselves from customers that ask for help that isn't available any more. Obsolete used to mean "very old" but it now seems that the limit is 10 years. After that time, you had better keep a private stock of spare parts and documentation.

I have lots of old documentation and also spare parts for drives, but even I think that it is too much job to try and dig out the needed information. I think that chiplonkar should get new drives. It is usually quite simple to fit a new drive instead of an old one. And it costs less than to have someone like me have a go on it. Sorry, but that is how things are these days.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Not much help to you I know, but I worked with a 6RA7028-6DV62 a couple of years ago. The huge two part manual was critical for configuring the drive, but my notes say "the manual came on CD-ROM, but no softcopy has been located. The sole hardcopy of the manual is...". In other words, we were very protective of our hardcopy manual, because without it we were stuck!

Skogs' suggestion might be appropriate - without support, the cost of a new drive might be the cheapest scenario!

Thank you very much everyone! All suggestions appreciated. I have been taking pride in maintaining very old equipment with minor rectifications for years together. Local Siemens Representatives are interested more in selling equipment rather than helping to maintain old ones. It is obvious, the time they will spend in digging out manuals, will not bring them money. Many new recruits have not seen such drives at all. For them it is easier to suggest a replacement! I am sure, the fault in my case, as experienced many times, must be minor one and could be rectified with some patience. Replacing is the last alternative.
Help in getting drawings will be appreciated! The manuals available for next revision has detailed component information, nothing is hidden.

chiplonkar

I know very well about the "taking pride in maintaining very old equipment with minor rectifications". I used to do that also.

But, when I thought about it (getting older, as we all are) I realized that there would be no one after me that could do just that. And I also realized that next time, I would have the same problem. And the time after that possibly even more so.

So, I do not maintain old devices any more. The plant or customer, as the case may be, is better off in the long run if new, well-documented and servicable with today's tools equipment are allowed to replace the older ones.

It may hurt - knowing that it is "only a minor component" that needs to be replaced - but if there are five or ten people around the world involved in the search for the right documents, and then trying to get readable scans and discussing if they are valid or not, does also cost. And the procedure is not guaranteed to lead anywhere.

No, better than to replace the drive.

In an emergency, when delivery times are long and production loss is huge, there should always be valid documents and spare parts available. If they are not - then maintenance has not done their work properly

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back