Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

siemens simatic s5

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayout

Electrical
Dec 24, 2002
CA
i am trying to communicate to a mini plc 95u 6es5 095 8mao3
the software iam using is step5 ver.7.17.

iam also using a laptop with windows 95, and every time i try to connect to it i get plc not online or plc timeout.

iam wandering if i need some other equipment for this hook up.
i am now using the db9 to db25 pin cable pc/rs 232 converter.
i have had no luck with this for a while if anyone can help i would appeciate it.

if anyone knows how this should work please give a explanation why it has not connected.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

no i dont have the tty box to try if you have any other suggestions please let me know thanxs. Just to add i only go into setup and then into plc and try the (go online), and then i get my message of plc timeout or plc not online. dont know if this helps any.

May be you should try 1st make 2 computers talking by rs232 using your unlucky port. So you will know that at least port and Windows driver operate ok.

Well, I'm out of ideas myself, but try (if you haven't already) to write to ad.support@siemens.com (OR Tel: ++49 (0) 180 5050 222). First they will bother you asking your personal details and determining which country tech supp will deal with you, be patient.

Your initial email is quite ok for them to open a new case, though I would also specify convertor type as well as other possible things explicitly.

Thanks for info. This is a vital task for me as well, because I'd like to have an alternative for my Siemens PG. Could you please drop me a line when you try this solution?
Kind regards,
"ipupkin"

Step 5 has always had problems running under a windows shell.
Have you tried restarting in ms-dos mode and then run step 5. Many of my customers get time outs when they run in a windows shell.

There is also a powered cable that you can build with an rs232-tty converter from Black Box

have tried with the cable p/n 6es5 734-1bd20 still unable to connect. iam thinking it may be the laptop its self running win95. have used the laptop with dos to connect still no luck gives the timeout cannot connect.

just to add have no problems connecting with quantumcpu on modbus.

sorry about delay on getting back to thank you ppl for the suggestions.

will try other things and hopefully will connect.

I also had this problem with time outs using WIN98/MSDOS with ver 7.17.

I found that by selecting a different com port setting in the "SET-UP" tab overcame the connection time out.

Goto TAB 1 (SET-UP) and select "PARAMETER" then select COM PORT 1 SONDER1 (or SONDER2) and try to go online again.

This worked for me.

Regards,

I also had problems running my DOS version of S5 software under Windows. When contacting Siemens, I was informed that
DOS versions should not be run under Windows, and that I would need either an upgrade or a new 'Step-5 for Windows'.
I also have another Siemens programing software for S5 and S7 PLC's. This is available from IBHsoftec, I found these programs far easier and faster to use than the 'official' Siemens ones (they are also far cheaper).
:-V

Another solution if running WIN98......

Running Step5 under Win98 and cannot go online?
Downloaded S5ENCOMM.EXE patch from Siemens and still cannot go online?

- Run REGEDIT, search for "Hkey_Local_Machine -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> VxD ->VCOMM"

- Modify the "EnablePowerManagement" value from "01 00 00 00" to "00 00 00 00". This will disable the RS232 port low power mode.

- Close REGEDIT and reboot.

This info was found on

Hi all, I use a Field PG now to connect to my siemens plcs
It came with Step7 & step5 ver 7.17 .
The step7 works ok but I also not getting any where with the step 5 "going on line " problem .
I have tried siemens susport but no joy .
What I did was load step5 v6.6 onto the PG and this worked OK .
So It points to a software fault to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back