Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silicone adhesion to fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2001
DE
I would love to hear from anyone who has practical experience of adhering a soft RTV silicone to fabric. We are designing a prosthetic device, tubular in shape. Once we have cracked this we are 'home and dry'

Appreciate any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The "sizing" coating on the fabric [glass???] is all-important. Various sizing chemistries are available that allow dissimilar materials to bond tightly with each-other. I Strongly suggest You discuss this with the "fabric" vendor(s) and the Silicone vendor. Note: What may make for a great sizing for a silicone-RTV matrix MAY have toxcicity implications... etc...

Regards, Wil Taylor

Besides adhesives, is there any other technique of "bonding" something, say microchip, to fabric(shirt) ??

Like using some kind of bracket or socket?? But most important, it must not be obstrusive to the wearer.

Thanks for any comments

The problem with using silicone is the weak bond strength. Do you require high temperature resistance for this device? If you do not, I would suggest switching to a low cost moisture cure urethane that will provide an exceptional bond to the fabric with all the flexibility required. It has incredible strength and a wide bonding range but is only good up to 120C.

John Schrock

I have a urethane/polyester/nylon fabric laminate which we sonic weld at the seams, which forms a channel about 5/16" wide and 1/8" thick. Material is elastic and will be in water now and then also in sunlight. Storage temperature of fabric could reach 125 F at times. I need a UV resistant, low modulus, high elasticity, soft, low VOC, low skin irritation sealant to fill that channel...maybe a base cure urethane? or? Any off the shelf products you might suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back