Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silicone rubber for model diaphragm (human diaphragm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsteinma

Bioengineer
Mar 18, 2010
US
Hi,

I am wondering what type (i.e. thickness, grade, etc.) of silicone rubber would be best used to model the human diaphragm. I would like to develop a diaphragm that can be used to ventilate a set of lungs inside an artificial chest cavity. I have experimented with silicone swim caps, which actually work pretty well, but am considering purchasing some silicone film sheets and cutting them to size. I need the silicone to be able to stretch considerably and be tear resistant. The swim cap material was roughly .008" thick. I would also like to eventually consider casting the diaphragm in a specific shape and am curious if a cast silicone diaphragm would be just as pliable and/or tear resistant as a piece of silicone film.

Thank You,
bsteinma

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Silicone rubber is not known for its tear resistance, especially when subjected to a tensile stress. You might be better off with using cast sheets made from natural rubber latex.

Silicone rubber has a good tear strength, we are in silicone rubber parts and some of the silicone rubber we do has mod @ 300 % elongation is about 1000 psi which is prety good. you cannnot cast the silicone rubber, it will not cure, you need both temp and pressure to cure the silcone rubber, you can make a cheap aluminium mold and slug load with silicone rubber and apply heat and pressure( you can use a hand press or a cheap hydraulic press)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back