Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

similar icons doing same thing in NX6 CAM??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamstar

Aerospace
Nov 4, 2008
US
Hi there,
I am learning the cam module of NX6 through the self-paced CAST course. I am noticing that there are operations in MILL_CONTOUR machining environment that are also in the MULTI_AXIS environment, and therefore have the exact same icon... Are they EXACTLY the same operation under a different menu?? If so, why does NX do that? It is really confusing.... I am having a tough time learning NX just for that reason. It seems that all operations are categorized under different environment, then again in subtype... It becomes really hard to remember which operation you need when they are placed under different menus... Any thoughts on that??

Is there a simple way to find the operations that you need? in other words, should I "customize" my environment and just put the operations that I use?? If so, how??

Also, check out the file that I am attaching from CAST. The person who programed this setup has 3 operations, with 3 different names of course, BUT the last 2 have the exact same icon (fixed_contour icon). If you double click on the 2 icons that are identical, you notice that they have different parameters. One has a drive method and the other one does not.... Clearly they are 2 different operations... or are they?? why do they have the exact same icon???

Thank you for your help... i am becoming quite confused...

Max

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you change the "Type" in the Create menu you are actualy selecting a template part file. The "subtypes" are operations in the "Type" part file that are set to Template. I recommend reading the help documents on creating templates. Yes you can have the same Subtypes in diferent templates. The Fixed Contour operation can use any of the available drive methods. So you could have two icons that look alike but do very diferent things. This is going to take practice, practice, practice, practice.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies iKS
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

John,
Thank you for shedding light on this. I am finding out that NX is extremely powerful but at the same time NOT the friendliest program to learn. That being said, I am making some strong progress, and am quite happy.

Funny thing is.. I find myself having a hard time doing super simple things such as programming a tool path to go from one point to another. For instance, say you want to do a 3/8"-wide slot in a 1/2 aluminum plate. If i use a 3/8" cutter (loose tolerances here), I would just like to program my tool path to go from point A to point B back and forth while going down 0.05 on the Z each time. How would you program that? When i try with NX with a 3/8 cutter it says your cutter is too big (which i understand because of part stock) but if i use a smaller cutter, it wants to go around like in a pocket and does WAY too much for what i want. I ended hand programing it. Any ideas on how to do simple task like that?

Also for drilling... what if my model does not have holes in it, but my engineer says drill 4 holes on surface A. How do I program hole drilling in NX when no holes are on the model?

thank you
Max

Max,

For the slot issue see the attached file. I created a boundary using points, the center of the slot at each end. I also included an operation using surface contouring to have the tool cut in both directions.

As far as drilling the holes you will need a point on the surface where you want to drill. You can use the points as your drill points. Select the face as the part surface and set the tool axis normal to part surface. That should give you the right tool axis.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies iKS
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO
www.myigetit.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2087aa6f-bb71-42ad-a14a-168fb876bbe0&file=mill_slot.prt
John,
Thank you for your help. I looked quickly at your files and it makes a lot of sense. I'll need to work on duplicating what you did to really understand the steps, as soon as I return from visiting my folks in Canada.

Happy Holidays
Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back