Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Apparatus NFPA 70, 504.10(D) Calculation Method 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2007
US
The NEC allows the use of a resistor (i.e. and end of line resistor for a fire alarm circuit) to be installed on terminals in a field mounted device certified as “nonincendive” (a Federal Signal Strobe for example) provided the temperature of the resistor doesn’t exceed the temperature rating of the device (i.e. the “T” Code). This is permitted based on the concept that a resistor is considered a “Simple Apparatus” (see definition below from the NEC).

From NFPA 70, 2016 Edition, Equation 504.10(D)

T=(P[sub]o[/sub] • R[sub]th[/sub]) x T[sub]amb[/sub]
Where:
T = Surface Temperature (of the resistor)
P[sub]o[/sub] = Output power marked on the associated apparatus (0.7 Amps x 24VDC = 16.8 Watts)
R[sub]th[/sub] = Thermal Resistance of Simple Apparatus (This is where I need the help)
T[sub]amb[/sub] = Ambient Temperature (Lets' assume 104°F [40°C])​

I’m trying to figure out how to do these calculations. Most of what I’ve read says you need to consider the “temperature coefficient” or “TC” of the resistor which apparently is expressed in terms of “ppm / °C”. I looked up a resistor and found that the TC is “500 to 350 ppm / °C”.

I came across some information on a Texas Instrument Web site titled "How to Calculation the effects of resistor self-heating." Equation 3 seems to be what I need
ΔT[sub]sh[/sub] = Θ[sub]sh[/sub]•P​
  (100°C/W)•0.5W=50°C
ΔT[sub]sh[/sub]=50°C​
Where:
ΔT[sub]sh[/sub] = Increase in Resistor Temperature
100°C/W = Temperature Coefficient of a typical Resistor (100ppm/°C)
0.5W = Resistor Size in Watts (½ Watt)​

Based on the above, I'm assuming...
ΔT[sub]sh[/sub] = R[sub]th[/sub]​

...and could be plugged into the equation 504.10(D)???
...or has someone already plugged this into a spreadsheet somewhere?

Regards,
DM

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back