Simple Channel Design Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakman256

Civil/Environmental
Aug 2, 2013
US
Hey All,

I'm wondering what everyone uses for channel design these days. I have an Old Old Old Haestads DOS Program that have been using (don't laugh... it works) and now I have to get a new 64 bit computer that will run Civil 3D properly and sadly, I have to see my old FLOW MASTER program go by the wayside. I know companies like North American Green have their own software but I've run into trouble with the regulatory agencies accepting designs from North American Green because the the Sheer Stress values they use for vegetation. I also used a program called Ohio Engineering that was Developed by SCS-NRCS and the regulatory agency wouldn't accept it because the print outs didn't display the manning's coefficient. All I'm looking for is a simple program for channel design without a bunch of bells and whistles that will replace my old program and will run on a 64 bit computer.

Thanks in Advance for your Input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well, most use HEC-RAS which is pretty much the industry standard in North America and its free. sure it has a lot of bells and whistles, but its not really that difficult and way more powerful than flowmaster

Thanks all. The Hydraulic Toolbox looks to have the same simplicity of the Old Flowmaster. I must have missed that class but does everyone really use HEC-RAS to design small channels with less than 5 cfs?

For channels in the 5 cfs range, I often assume normal flow and use a spreadsheet with Manning's equations in it, unless there's something about the geometry that makes me suspect the flow won't approach normal depth.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Hydrology Studio is currently developing an equal to Hydraflow Express (acquired by Autodesk in 2007). Express was a great simple tool that included culverts, open channels, hydrology, weirs & orifices. It's exactly what you're looking for. Stay tuned.

Terry Stringer
Better Hydraulics & Hydrology Software

Thanks everyone for you input,

I will be keeping the old computer for a while. I still have some big jobs in Acad 2008 that I just don't want to take to the new CAD because in the long run, it will save me time to keep the old workstation. I'll be able to use the Flowmaster Program for a while. Like I said, Flowmaster is an Old DOS program that used to run in something like windows 3.1 so I'm lucky to still use it. I had to do some voodoo just to get it to run on XP. I like to keep it because its just a good little hydrology tool not just for channels but thats mainly what I've used it for. I thought about just setting up a spreadsheet too and it would be easy enough for simple channel design.

Sorry HydrologyStudio but I'm going to ignore your shameless plug.

As someone who also would like to use the old Flowmaster, the emulation doesn't seem to work on Win 7 or 8. At least from what I remember when I tried running it a few months ago. I think Vista did work with the emulation. Yakman if you figure out how to get it working please explain how you did it. Probably helps with other DOS/Win 3.1 stuff as well.

I have resorted to hand calcs when needed, but that's not very efficient.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Brandon,

I found this link:

It looks like if you might be able to do it but I don't have the new computer to try it yet and you may stand a better chance if your running a 32 bit system. The Real Question may be... Even if you do get it running, how are you going to print? I had to configure my XP computer to capture a printer port. I have a list of instructions on how to do that if you want. I will say this... we just got a new server in the office and when the IT guys got around to connecting my machine to the new server, they were not too pleased with me assigning a printer port to the DOS Software. Somehow it messed up the way they wanted to connect me to the office printers. They Told me not to do it again.

I'll take a stab at it after my new workstation arrives but if you figure it out before me, let me know.

Going with Windows 7 or higher at 32-bit sounds like the wrong way to upgrade. Haven't heard of Dosbox so I am going to give that a try.

At a previous company I was assigning the plotters using a batch file with the net use command. The owners were very happy that I got their old DOS survey software plotting on upgraded PC's.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

I went back and looked at my old notes and I also used the Net Use command to get the DOS programs to print. I cant say for sure but I would imagine that the IT guys didn't like it because it just made them do more work. Although they told me not to do it again, I would still do it if I could get Flowmaster to run.

I also agree that a 32 bit system doesn't seem appropriate for upgrades but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. Sometimes we don't get a vote in what systems we get. I did spend some time on my home computer over the weekend trying to get it to work but then life got in the way. I'll Let you know if I get it working.

I have found that the North American Green ECMDS online channel design tool is helpful. It provides calculation printouts so you can check the math. It will provide shear stress, normal depth, and check various linings, or you can use your own manning's number. Best of all it's free. I'm sure they use it to collect business/marketing information, but you aren't required to enter any client data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back