Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simple closed flat end Cylindrical Pressure Vessel Collapse Calcuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissy123

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2019
GB
Hi - I am trying to calculate the maximum pressure (or the pressure that would cause collapse of) a simple closed end cylinder. The cylinder thickness is 100mm however the end caps (which are flat) of the cylinder are 30mm. So I have two different thicknesses to consider. I've searched an can't seem to find how to do this. Material properties are E-207GPa and poissons = 0.3, with yield stress = 207MPa ..... if anybody could help me I would be most grateful.
thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want collapse, you'll need the UTS. Use Bridgeman's formula for the cylinder. The flat heads will hydroform to hemi heads.

Thanks - do you have any links at all you can send me please about Bridegman's formula ? I've not heard of that before and I've just looked up on the internet and can't find anything relating to pressure vessels for Bridgeman's formula - thanks

Recheck your internet with this title "Bridgeman's formula for flat round plates". Also mechanical engineering handbooks will provide the formula when you check for deflection and stress of flat round plates simply or fully supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back