Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simple Electronics Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexDring

Mechanical
Dec 31, 2002
US
Is there a website that explains or shows how to build what I would consider simple electronic assemblies. I would like to put together some leds for stop lights and such and some simple circuits. Is there any reference out there for a nonelectrical type of guy? In a way, electronics for dummies. The most complex I would try is LCDs showing like temputure from a sensor or an alarm going off if a temp is acheived or a conditions is set. I know this is way below what you guys in here are used to, sorry to bore you with simple things.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a number of kits on but they still require some basic knowledge. We learn from failure. Give yourself a subscription to Popular Electronics. I was employed part time repairing electronics while I was still in high school so it is possible to learn electronics just by reading.

To really get an understanding of basic practical electronics theory, I'd recommend checking out some university bookstores for 1st-year electronics course textbooks.

Peebee- I have actually, some friends of mine are EE like you guys and they gave or let me borrowed there books. I am a visual learner though, I usually learn by doing it once. I then went out and got the proto boards and things, power supply, but that is as far as I got.

So reading about that stuff is hard for me more then other subjects, I cant seem to digust it as easy compared to others. Some in terms of explaining how a system worked, like LED's. Something that said how they worked, what they needed to work, most common configurations, and so on. I am probaly way off, asking too much. I think I might check the college and see what classes I might take.

It's worth the time, AlexDring, to read the books or take a class.

Even relatively simple circuits, such as those in Radio Shack 10-in-one or 100-in-one kits, can be rather mind-boggling to reverse-engineer without having been trained to recognize some relatively common circuit topologies.

By the way, those 10-in-one and 100-in-one kits are a great source of basic circuit schematics and a cheap way to experiment on them. Unfortunately, the kits do not provide much in the way of explanation of how the circuits actually work or how to design similar circuits.

Well shoot, I guess if I have too, I will. I have too many little thoughts in my head that need minor electronics to make them useful thoughts. I was hoping and reaching to see if there was a "hey stupid" book. In order to understand is about the only time you can really do anything with something. Your right Peebee, thanks for the input.

Radio Shack has small, inexpensive basic electronics books I used in high school. At the time, I felt they expressed the ideas and information for the non-engineer fairly well.

Otherwise, there is plenty of information on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back