Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

...simple FEA software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnis

Automotive
May 15, 2003
DE
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a simple "FEA" software which should only handle the following: it has a simple drawing interface (something like a sketcher) where I can draw the profile of a bar (or beam) - but just the neutral fiber, just lines and arcs - to be able to represent linear bars, but also combined configurations (line + arc + ...), section characteristics (only basic sections: rectangular, circular), than I have to be able to put constraints on it (clamp, fixed areas, supports) and loads. After that, I would need as output the value of reactions in different areas, the values of stress and displacements under the load and diagrams of forces (T, N) and torque.
I don't need a 3D analysis software, just one as help for hand-made, paper calculations of stress and deformations for mechanical elements.
Does anybody know if such a software exists?

Thank you very much in advance for any sugestion.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did have a simple program called Beam!2d that allowed about 20 nodes in the trial version. Not sure you can still get the trial version but you can buy teh full version still.

corus

Donnis,

If you are a designer with CAD experience but no experience with FEM, then you may use one of the FEM modules provided with the CAD software. Most CAD programs have some simple FE module which allows you to define a simple problem, not only beams and trusses but also 2D and 3D, with minimum effort. For example using Mechanica, FE module of Pro Enigneer, you define a solid beam (or whatever), including application of matieral and boundary conditions, in 30 seconds. Such modules can thus be used for analysis of very simple beams and trusses but more realistic problems, although linear elastic, can be handled just as easy. So instead of seeking some kind of a beam/truss analysis software, maybe you should try a simple FEM software (linear elastic), which allows you to analyze much more than only beams.

Try solidworks, you can create a model of the beam (very easy) or get one ready made from 3Dcontentcentral.com. Then there's an add-on called Cosmos which is a trimmed down FEA for quick and dirty solutions. A little pricey, but depends on your intentions..

Donnis,
You can get some limited DOF software FEA tools from Cranes Software who now markets the NISA suite of tools for the price you are looking to spend. My understanding is that these are fully capable in funtions and element types, but limited in problem size (degrees of freedom).

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back