Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Fluid Dispensing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreinsdo

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2011
US
I have a simple fluid dispensing question. My situation requires feeding a pump with isopropyl alcohol. I would like to place whatever container dispenses the fluid above the suction side of the pump. The pump is currently equipped with a 3/8 inch ID tube at the suction side. The dispenser should not be automated, it can simply be a container with a tube fitting.

My first thought was to go with a carboy equipped with a tube fitting or valve, then rigging up some kind of connection to the pump.

I thought you guys might be able to come up with something better. I'm new to automation and am not aware of most of the products out there.

The application is for a tooling fixture used in a manufacturing clean room, if that is of any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I neglected to mention that this is for a low flow rate situation. A reservoir volume of 1 gallon is sufficient - just to give you a ballpark idea.

I was thinking of hand-powered dispensers, used to, e.g. wet a swab. Basically a steel can with a pump in the top; depress the top of the pump, and a little liquid squirts out.

The pump you have specified is an air powered reciprocating piston pump with a high discharge pressure rating.

Since high pressure pumps like that typically use hard-seated check valves, I wouldn't put the supply reservoir above the pump suction. Hard-seated check valves don't always seal very well, and if they both stick open, the reservoir will empty through the pump whether the pump is on or off.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back