Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple free 2D CFD for uncompressible fluids ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrn

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2005
IT
Hi,
I'm looking for a "simple" FREE 2D fluid-dynamics software (pre, solver, post) with only 2D capabilities for uncompressible single-species fluids.
Basically, I'd like to calculate lift/drag/moment coefficients of foils' profiles by varying the incidence.
I can't use a standard NACA or whatever else calculator because I deal with absolutely out-of-standard profiles.

Anybody knows anything which could apply? I already tried NAST3DGP (which has also 3D capabilities) from the University of Bonn, but it's a pain to set up (born in Unix and never ported to Windows...) and to use (textual input by directives files !!!)...

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can give you only a "not so hard" way to solve the problem by yourself.

I suggest to define in a easy way the physical zone you are interested in the computation, and solve the fluid via the potential equation with Poisson and finite difference method. This should be suitable to compute Cl and Cm.

In the boundary layer solve the problem descarding inertial term (Low Reynolds Model or Poisson Flow) to compute Cd.

If interested I can send some more info or link to siutable code in Matlab (really easy with no more than 100 instructions) or Fortran.

Good luck

Hi,
thank you for your feedback!
I already thought about the FDM but I was reluctant to use it mainly because of difficulties in setting up the routine in VB (no math program available, no Fortran compiler).
For simply finding out Cl, Cd, Cm, I now have a solution. For a more general approach (when the incidence depends upon other elements in the domain), I have an idea about how to build up a "gridder" from inside Unigraphics and then export nodes to Excel. I also have all the theory related to potential equation, Poisson and FD, but if you can provide some of the links / info you mention, it would be super-welcomed!

Thanks again, regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back